Healthy banana oat bread makes a delicious breakfast or snack. Serve this delicious banana bread breakfast up with a nice hot cup of coffee or an ice cold glass of milk for the best start to your day. Bake it once and enjoy it all week long.
I always have bananas in my house. We all love bananas but we only will eat them when they are the right shade of yellow.
You know what I’m talking about right? Bright yellow, no real green left and definitely no brown spots.
Well since you only get a day or so of perfect eating bananas, I always am left with a few bananas that are over ripe. And I hate to throw out food.
It feels so wasteful. So what do I do? Make banana bread of course.
Banana Oat Bread- A Healthier Alternative to Banana Bread
Most banana bread recipes use only flour as the base.
Obviously there’s nothing wrong with that. But since I like to have a slice of banana bread in the morning for breakfast, I thought why not get the day started off right with some extra wholesome ingredients.
And that’s what we’ve got going on in this banana oat bread recipe: a whole cup of rolled oats for extra lasting energy and delicious chewiness that make this banana bread amazing.
Paired with my piping hot morning cuppa coffee and it’s an easy breakfast that’s ready in a flash. The kids love it too, they just prefer theirs served with a cold frothy cup of milk.
How to Make Banana Oat Bread
Making this banana oat bread is very similar to making other banana bread recipes.
To make it start by smashing 3-4 slightly over ripe bananas in the bowl of your stand mixer. I like to do this with a potato masher but you could use a fork as well.
Once you’ve smashed your bananas, use your stand mixer and cream together the sugar and bananas. Then you can add the eggs and vanilla extract and cream them again until they are smooth.
Then add the melted butter to the mixer and keep mixing until it is all incorporated.
Once you’ve got your wet ingredients well mixed, add your flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, and oats to a separate medium bowl. Then give them a quick whisk to combine them evenly.
Now you can add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little at a time while you mix on low. You want to mix the ingredients until they are just combined, being careful not to over mix.
That’s it! You’re ready to pour the batter into a greased 9″ loaf pan and bake!
Make sure you grease the loaf pan well. There’s nothing more disappointing than pulling a golden brown, drool worthy homemade loaf of bread fresh from the oven that sticks and pulls apart when it doesn’t release properly.
You can always use non stick cooking spray, but I highly recommend plain old fashioned butter and plenty of it for this task.
Tips and Tricks for Making the Tastiest Banana Oat Bread
This banana bread is pretty easy to do, but make sure to follow these tips and tricks to ensure banana bread success each and every time you make this.
- Don’t over mix the batter when you add the dry ingredients. Over mixing once you add the flour will cause the bread to get dense and heavy because the gluten will over develop. Just mix until everything is evenly combined.
- Looking for more texture? Try adding in some chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Don’t skip the salt or the cinnamon. The salt adds balance and the cinnamon adds irresistible flavor.
- Don’t have ripe bananas? Try this method to get ripe bananas fast!
Looking for other breakfast sweet bread recipes? Try these!
This banana oat bread is one of my favorite bread recipes for a quick morning meal we can enjoy all week long. Make it and see why my family loves it so much!
Looking for some variety? Try these other sweet breakfast bread recipes:
- Orange Glazed Mimosa Bread
- Strawberry Bread with Cream Cheese Glaze
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Banana Bread
If you’ve tried this HEALTHY BANANA OAT BREAD, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Healthy Banana Oat Bread
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3-4 ripe bananas smashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the bananas & sugar until smooth and evenly combined.
- Add in the eggs & vanilla extract, again creaming together until smooth and evenly combined.
- Mix in the melted butter, again until combined.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, and oats. Stir everything together until well combined.
- Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet mixture in the stand mixture, beating on low speed just until combined and the batter's fluffy.
- Generously grease a 9" loaf pan. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, using a spatula to scrape the bowl and spread out evenly.
- Bake the banana bread at 350 degrees for 38-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Set the loaf aside for 15 minutes to cool. Then using a bread knife, run it gently around the edges of the pan to release the bread from the pan.
- Slowly turn the loaf out onto a wire rack, and let it finish cooling completely before slicing and serving.
- Serve each slice as is, or topped with some butter, or a drizzle of syrup.