Grilled teriyaki chicken breasts are marinated in a sweet and savory sauce for an easy dinner any night of the week. This juicy, flavorful chicken recipe is sure to please everyone each time you make it.
Chicken is a staple in my house.
It’s versatile and easy to prepare and can feed my hungry brood easily.
And if you make it right, it can be full of big flavor like this recipe so everyone will eat it happily and wind up satisfied.
With only a few ingredients, this easy teriyaki chicken recipe shows up regularly and is delicious way to kick off grilling season.
- Chicken breasts– Go for boneless, skinless breasts for best results.
- Salt and pepper
- Soy sauce– Use your favorite brand
- Honey– You could substitute brown sugar if you prefer but you won’t get the subtle floral flavor from the honey.
- Ginger– Fresh ginger root, grated. If you don’t have fresh ginger, you can substitute a teaspoon of dried ground ginger.
- Garlic– Press a clove and try to avoid garlic powder if you can.
- Dried minced onions
- Cornstarch– This is optional and only needed if you decided to reserve half of the marinade to make a glaze. You can also substitute arrowroot powder.
How to Make
Making this dish is so easy! The prep is a snap.
To make it, start by making your marinade.
To make the marinade, whisk together the soy, water, honey, garlic, ginger and onions.
If you plan to make the optional glaze, set aside half of the marinade.
Then, season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and put the chicken in a ziplocking bag or shallow container.
Pour the other half of the marinade over the chicken.
Let the chicken sit in the marinade for at least 30 minutes but up to a full 24 hours.
If you are marinating the chicken for longer than 30 minutes, make sure to refrigerate the chicken.
When you are ready to prepare the chicken, preheat your grill to at least 400 degrees.
Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, flip the chicken over to the other side and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165.
At this point you can remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest while you make the optional glaze.
To Make the Glaze
You can reserve half the marinade and cook it for a teriyaki glaze.
Place the reserved marinade in a small sauce pan over medium meat and bring to a boil.
Make a cornstarch slurry by mixing 2 teaspoons of cornstarch with equal parts water and stir with a fork until blended.
Add the mixture to the simmering marinade.
It will thicken after a couple of minutes.
Then, remove from heat, and brush on the chicken after cooking.
This chicken dish pairs well with rice and a side of pineapple.
For a lighter meal you could serve it as part of a big salad or in a lettuce wrap.
To store the leftovers, let the chicken cool and place it in an airtight container in the fridge.
The chicken will keep for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until warmed through.
Tips and Tricks
- If you don’t have fresh ginger, dried ground ginger works too. Use 1 teaspoon.
- Marinating the chicken in a ziplock bag allows you to get good coverage. Once it’s sealed, move the contents around a bit. Turn the bag over every so often as the marinade sinks to the bottom.
- If you marinate for longer than 30 minutes, make sure the meat is in the refrigerator.
- Arrowroot powder can be substituted for cornstarch as a healthier option.
Other Asian Inspired Chicken Recipes You Might Enjoy
These grilled teriyaki chicken breasts are a favorite for a lighter meal.
Make it as soon as you break out the grill and enjoy!
Looking for other Asian inspired chicken recipes?
- Asian Chicken Wraps
- Chinese Chicken & Green Bean Sheet Pan Supper
- Thai Chicken Salad
- Crockpot Honey Garlic Chicken
If you’ve tried these GRILLED TERIYAKI CHICKEN BREASTS, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Breasts
- 2 ½ pounds boneless skinless, chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper for seasoning chicken
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger root grated
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onions
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch optional, you’ll only need this if you decide to make the glaze
- Whisk together soy sauce, water, honey, ginger, garlic and onions.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, place the meat in a shallow dish or ziplock bag, pour marinade over top. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat grill. It should be at least 400 degrees and up to 500 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on the grill. Cover the chicken and cook for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken over to the other side, cover again and cook another 5 minutes or until cooked through. Internal temperature should be 165°.
- Let chicken rest for 5 minutes.