A velvety cupcake topped with a rich and creamy buttercream frosting is always a treat. These Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Red Wine Buttercream are the perfect something sweet for sharing with someone special in your life.
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. And let me just tell y’all that these cupcakes make the perfect gift. Put your wallet away, skip the expensive ‘stuff’.
Instead go for a little something sweet for your sweetheart, that’s made with love. These heavenly little desserts taste like a million bucks.
I’m fond of romantic gestures, and anything made for me by my husband’s own two hands is always a winner.
I mean I loved the tablet I received one year. Upgrading my ‘point and shoot’ camera to a gently used DSLR for our anniversary to help my business? Totally thoughtful.
BUT, the year he put the kids to bed, and then set the table with flowers he’d cut himself and cooked a special dinner for me that was a copycat of one of my favorite restaurant meals? Totally had me melting.
He knows me so well. Luckily, I happen to know a thing or two about him too. Like the fact that one of the quickest ways to his heart is through his sweet tooth.
A velvety cupcake topped with sweet indulgent butter cream is always a winning combination. Stir in nibs of dark chocolate into the batter and infuse the frosting with a rich red wine?
Now you’ve got the makings of a batch of these Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Red Wine Buttercream- any dessert lover’s dream & perfect for Valentine’s Day.
The flavors meld beautifully into an edible love note that’s as good to give as it is to get. So for all our chocolate lovin’, red wine sippin’ readers– this is the dessert you’ve been waiting for.
Make it to share with the one you love, or make a batch of these dark chocolate cupcakes with red wine buttercream just to treat yourself– because you’re awesome too.
If you’ve tried these DARK CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES WITH RED WINE BUTTERCREAM, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Red Wine Buttercream
For The Cupcakes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- ¾ cup dry red wine room temperature
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- ½ cup dark chocolate nibs or chips melted
For The Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 ½-4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
To Make The Cupcakes
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cake mix, wine, egg, oil, and chocolate- just until evenly combined. Don't over-mix.
- Line cupcake pans with paper liners. Use a large scoop to fill the liners 2/3 of the way full until the batter is gone.
- Bake the cupcakes according to the package directions, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the largest cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove the cooked cupcakes from the oven, and let the pans rest for about three minutes before removing them to wire racks to finish cooling completely.
To Make The Frosting
- Add the remaining wine and sugar to a small sauce pan, stirring until the sugar's completely dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, and stirring occasionally, continue simmering until reduced and the syrup is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. You'll know when it's almost ready when stirring starts to form fleeting lines in the mixture showing the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the skillet from heat; it should yield several tablespoons of syrup.
- In the bowl of a stand mixture, cream together the powdered sugar and butter,until whipped and fluffy. Set the mixture to a lower speed and slowly pour in the red wine syrup, mixing until evenly combined.
- Fit your desired tip into a piping bag, and scoop the frost in.
- Generously frost the cupcakes; serve and enjoy.
Leave a Comment