An easy, made from scratch recipe these cosmic brownies are a spot on copy cat of your favorite store bought snack cake. Fudge-y, brownie like bars are topped with a smooth layer of chocolate ganache and topped with coated candies. Whip up a batch today and see what all the fuss is about.
My parents theory for us girls was always keep us busy, and keep us out of trouble.
Their updated take on idle hands make the devil’s work, I guess.
I’ve got to say though, they’re track record speaks for itself, and the hubs and I’ve pretty much applied the same philosophy to the sons, keeping them enrolled in extra curricular activities.
But my, my how times have changed.
Or more specifically, how post game snack times have changed.
Back in the day everybody looked forward to the post game snacks and seeing what dreamy sweet cakes were waiting for us.
Complete with a perfectly acceptable sugar-laced juice drink of some sort.
If you brought oatmeal cream pies, it was a great post game, regardless of the win or loss.
But if you brought cosmic brownies? It was a great game, most likely a championship of some sort.
Now-a-days the sons get carrot sticks or bananas post game, or even outrageously expensive, and overly stuffed organic snack bags with several different options to choose from.
And I get it, I do.
Of course there little bodies need to refuel, but every kid (at least once in their lives) deserves to experience the sheer joy of biting into a fudgey brownie, topped with chocolate ganache, and studded with fun candy-coated, rainbow-colored chocolate candies.
Yep, I was that mom on snack day. And no I didn’t pair them with bottled water, or little organic juice drinks. Capri Sun all day. Erry day.
And damn if those kids didn’t think it was magic. Even the sons (who’re used to sweet treats) were a bit in awe.
I even brought enough to share with the parents.
You can’t be stingy with something this great. And I happily shared the recipe with each and every one who asked for it.
Now I’m sharing the love with all of you too.
What Is A Cosmic Brownie?
Not all brownies are made the same, and Little Debbie’s Cosmic Brownies are proof positive that that’s the honest truth.
I’m not knocking my Grandma’s homemade brownies, but these will forever be my favorite
Cosmic brownies are extra fudge-y brownies that are topped with a layer of rich chocolate ganache, and finished off with a sprinkle of candy coated chocolate candies.
They debuted in the 1960’s as one of the featured snacks of the McKee Foods ‘Little Debbie’ line of desserts and snack cakes.
Nearly 50 years later and they’re still wildly popular and just as much a commercial success.
As much as we still love them, even after the kids are older and their day/age in the sports arena has passed, we didn’t want to have to run to the grocery store every time a craving hit.
The worst time to go to the grocery store is when you’re hungry, or dying for dessert.
The obvious answer was learn to make cosmic brownies at home. From scratch.
And we did just that!
What’s Goes Into The Iconic Brownie?
Despite their delectable taste, the ingredients needed to whip up a batch is surprisingly simple.
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- cocoa powder
Nothing out of the ordinary, or too fancy.
Of course you need the candy coated chocolate candies for the topping, but we can’t forget the delectable ganache layer.
If you can’t find, or can’t order, the chocolate coated candies- mini m & m’s do the trick too.
It may seem small or simple by itself, but this sweet snack cake would not be the delicious success it is if it weren’t for the combination of all the individual layers.
For the ganache layer you’ll need:
- semi sweet chocolate chips
- heavy cream
It’s amazing what happens when you start making some of your favorite desserts at home- you discover how trsily simple they are!
Did you love Little Debbie brand snacks as a kid? We sure did, and now we can enjoy them anytime we want with a batch of these copy cat cosmic brownies. Easy to make, and tons of fun to enjoy- they’re a perfect treat for kids of all ages!
Other 90’s Desserts To Enjoy:
If you’ve tried this COPY CAT LITTLE DEBBIE COSMIC BROWNIES, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Copy Cat Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies
For the Brownies
- 3/4 cup butter 1½ Sticks
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 packed cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
For the chocolate ganache topping:
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup M&M minis or rainbow chocolate chip candies
- Line an 11×7 inch pan with foil. Spray with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, melt butter in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or melt in a small pot over low heat and then transfer to the bowl.
- Whisk in the sugars, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Then whisk in the cocoa powder until the batter is smooth and not lumpy.
- Add flour gradually, stirring until everything’s evenly combined.
- Pour the batter out into the prepared pan, and use a spatula to gently spread it out evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow it to cool completely.
- Heat the heavy cream in a medium sauce pan over medium-medium low heat. Add in the chocolate chips, stirring occasionally until they’ve both completely incorporated and the ganache is smooth.
- Pour the ganache over the completely cooled brownies. Smooth it out with an offset spatula.
- Sprinkle the M&Ms, or rainbow chocolate chip candies, over the top of the ganache. Refrigerate until the ganache has set. Cut brownies into squares to serve and enjoy!
recipe originally published June 16, 2015