A chicken club sandwich Virginia style is a yummy take on a traditional club. Loaded with creamy chicken salad and thick slices of Virginia country ham, you’ll want to make this sandwich recipe over and over again for lunch and dinner!
You can never go wrong with a good sandwich for lunch.
And if it’s hearty enough, I am not opposed to serving them up for dinner either.
My boys are all fans of this too.
They especially enjoy this creative twist on a chicken salad club sandwich.
And what’s not to love? Piled high with creamy chicken salad, Virginia country ham, lettuce and cheese, this is sure to please!
What is a club sandwich anyway?
Fun fact: did you know that the club in club sandwich actually is an acronym and not referring to the word “club” as in group of people that gather together with a common interest?
The acronym breaks down like this:
- C– Chicken
- L– Lettuce
- U– Under
- B– Bacon
Of course, over the years, club sandwiches have expanded to include many different varieties like turkey, tuna or this fun twist.
In my chicken club sandwich Virginia style, we have the chicken and lettuce but instead of it being under bacon, it’s under thick slices of Virginia country ham for a super satisfying and delicious treat!
To make this, you’ll need:
- Sandwich bread– Make sure you choose a hearty variety. You want something that will hold up well. If you prefer, toast the bread.
- Chicken salad– Go for a creamy style chicken salad.
- Country ham– Skip the bacon and use thick slices of Virginia style country ham.
- Cheese– I prefer Swiss in this but provolone or Havarti slices also work well.
- Lettuce– Go for green leaf lettuce, washed and patted dry.
- Tomatoes– Ripe and thinly sliced.
What kind of chicken salad should I use?
If you don’t have a chicken salad recipe you love, no worries! I’ve got you covered!
Choose a creamy, mayo based chicken salad for this sandwich recipe.
Any of these varieties would be delicious:
- Peach Basil Chicken Salad
- Dill Pickle Chicken Salad
- Lemon Tarragon Chopped Chicken Salad
- Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad
How to Make
Like most sandwiches, this one is very easy to make.
To start, pile on a thin layer of green leaf lettuce to the bottom slice of bread. Make sure you use enough to cover the bread.
On top of that, add the chicken salad, spreading out just to the edges of the bread.
Then, top the chicken salad with your sliced ham and the cheese slices.
Add a couple slices of tomato, and top with the second piece of bread.
Cut the sandwich in half, or quarters and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- I don’t recommend adding additional condiments to this sandwich, as it will become too heavy for the bread and the sandwich will get soggy.
- The lettuce layer is important not just for texture and flavor, but it protects the bottom bread from getting soggy from the chicken salad layer.
- Use a hearty, seedier variety of bread when making this sandwich. Any bread will do, but cheaper breads tend to be thinner and more starch filled making them prone to not only sogginess, but flimsiness and falling apart when making such a hearty sandwich
- Prefer toasted bread? This sandwich is great with toasted bread!
- I know cutting the sandwich in half or quarters may sound silly but when it comes to ‘club’ type sandwiches it’s often essential to make them more sturdy and manageable to eat.
Other Sandwich Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This chicken club sandwich Virginia style is a delicious variation on a classic that ham lovers will definitely enjoy. Make this easy sandwich to use up leftovers and satisfy big appetites anytime!
Looking for other sandwich recipes? Try these:
- Nutty Bird Sandwiches
- Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich
- Turkey Dijon Melt Sandwiches
- Dill Pickle & Vidalia Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich
If you’ve tried these CHICKEN CLUB SANDWICH VIRGINIA STYLE or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
The Virginia Club Sandwich
- 2 slices hearty sandwich bread
- 1/2 cup creamy style chicken salad
- 4 thick slices Virginia country ham
- 2 slices Swiss cheese cut from the deli (recommended)
- green leaf lettuce washed & patted dry
- ripe tomatoes thinly sliced
- To the inside of your bottom piece of bread, pile on a thin layer of green leaf lettuce- enough to cover the bread.
- To that add the chicken salad, spreading out just to the edges of the bread.
- Top the chicken salad with your sliced ham, followed by the cheese slices.
- Add a couple slices of tomato, and top with the second piece of bread.
- Cut the sandwich in half, or quarters and serve immediately.