Nutty bird sandwiches are a delicious turkey sandwich full of crunchy seeds and creamy cheese. This vintage recipe makes for a delicious summer dinner or lunch or a perfect way to use up holiday leftover!
Are you a person that waits until autumn to enjoy a turkey sandwich?
I have never been that person but I do admit to getting a bit excited when I see all the special turkey sandwiches hitting the restaurants.
In my opinion, you can just never go wrong with this classic.
And there are so many ways to add variety so you aren’t eating a tired old lunch but enjoying a delicious combination of texture and flavor the way that you are with these nutty birds.
Just varying the bread and adding a couple of unexpected but easy to find ingredients turns this into something special the whole family will love!
What is a Nutty Bird Sandwich?
The Nutty Bird is a vintage sandwich that has waned some in popularity over the years. But you can find it sometimes in coffee shops and some restaurants.
The sandwich itself uses pretty basic ingredients including turkey breast, cream cheese, sunflower seeds, provolone cheese, and fresh sprouts in a croissant roll. The turkey and the seeds is where the sandwich gets its fun name from.
It is super easy to make and great just about any time of year including the summer and right after holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas, when you may want a lighter way to enjoy the left overs.
You need the following to make these yummy sandwiches:
- Croissant rolls – Croissants add extra buttery flavor, but you can use other rolls or sliced pumpernickel bread if you prefer.
- Cream cheese – Use full fat, regular cream cheese softened to room temperature.
- Unsalted sunflower seeds – You can skip these if you are allergic for a great, not quite “nutty” sandwich or substitute in pepitas instead.
- Sliced roasted turkey – For best flavor, I recommend using turkey leftovers or making your own turkey breast. If not, I recommend asking your deli for thicker cut slices.
- Sliced provolone cheese – You can use deli or per-packaged versions. For added flavor, a smoked provolone cheese is extra delicious.
- Fresh sprouts – You should be able to find these in the vegetables section of your local grocery store. I like to use alfalfa sprouts, but just about any sprout will work.
How to make
Making this is a snap!
To do it, spread the whipped cream cheese generously over each half of your sliced croissant roll.
Then, sprinkle the sunflower seeds evenly out over the cream cheese on both sides.
Add a layer of turkey followed by a slice of cheese to the bottom half of the roll.
Pile the sprouts on top of the cheese before placing the other prepared croissant half on top to close the sandwich.
Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!
Serving and storing
You really should serve this sandwich fresh so the croissants don’t get soggy.
If you do have leftovers, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate them for up to 2 days.
Tips and Tricks
- Some versions of this add cranberry sauce to the sandwich. You can do that by spreading it out over the cream cheese layer.
- While I prefer and highly recommend alfalfa sprouts, any will work. In the photos, we are using a blend of clover and radish sprouts since that what was available at the time. It’s one of those things you have to roll with what’s in season.
- Use either sliced deli turkey in the warmer weather or leftover roast turkey after the holidays.
Other Sandwiches You’ll Love
These nutty bird sandwiches are the perfect lunch or dinner any time. Make them today to enjoy a unique blend of textures and flavors you’ll love!
Looking for other sandwich recipes? Try these:
- Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich
- Sheetpan Philly Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- Instant Pot MockRib Sandwich
- Turkey Dijon Melt Sandwiches
- Spinach & Tomato Tuna Salad Sandwiches
- Hot Chicken Caesar Sandwiches
If you’ve tried these NUTTY BIRD SANDWICHES or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Nutty Bird Sandwiches
- croissant rolls halved
- cream cheese softened & whipped
- unsalted sunflower seeds
- sliced roasted turkey
- sliced provolone cheese
- fresh sprouts
- Spread each half of your sliced croissant roll liberally with whipped cream cheese.
- Sprinkle sunflower seeds evenly out over the cream cheese.
- To the bottom half of the croissant sandwich, add a layer of turkey followed by a slice of cheese.
- Pile the sprouts on top of the cheese, and add the other prepared croissant half to close the sandwich.
- Serve & enjoy!