A healthy breakfast or snack, these easy Baby Cereal Pancakes make use of common baby foods that often end up going to waste. They’re a perfect first food, or finger food, for hungry babies & toddlers. Something you can feel good about serving, and something they’ll love eating!
Why is it that every parent seems to find themselves inundated with baby food at some point, and it always seems to be at the point when the babies no longer want baby food?
This was exactly my predicament with several unused boxes of baby cereal.
I couldn’t just toss them, and at the time, I didn’t have any friends who could make use of them.
When I stumbled across this recipe on Pinterest, I thought it would be a perfect way to still use the cereal, but also to help my son continue getting used to ‘chewing’ with his new teeth.
These were absolutely perfect for us.
It’s a denser pancake than a traditional batter, but I found that just helped it cook quicker. Best of all, the recipe made a ton, and it’s freezer friendly so I didn’t have to do this every day.
Just pull out however many you need for breakfast or morning snack, and let them thaw.
I originally made these for my littlest man when he was just starting to eat and be introduced to table foods. He loved them!
At 3, he still prefers them to ‘normal’ pancakes.
Also, it’s important to note that although this recipe will make a lot due to their miniature size, these freeze extremely well.
To freeze, just place completely cooled pancakes into a freezer safe zip-locking bag. Seal and set in the freezer. When ready to use, just pull out the desired amount, place them on a plate, and allow them to thaw before serving.
Also, the spices noted in the recipe as optional, like cinnamon and vanilla- you can incorporate those or others as your little one gets older and you want to expand their flavor profiles.
Baby Cereal Pancakes are a seamless way to get them used to complex flavors and create a little foodie at heart.
The same applies with the smashed fruit. Mashed pumpkin makes a wonderful substitution. We’ve even used pureed zucchini, just making sure to have pressed out and soaked up the moisture before pureeing.
Baby Cereal Pancakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or 1 1/2 all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baby rice cereal straight from the box
- 1/2 cup baby oatmeal cereal straight from the box
- 1 cup formula or milk, depending upon age
- 1/2 cup mashed banana or other mashed fruit of choice
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup apple juice or water
- dash of cinnamon nutmeg, or vanilla (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together. Add the apple juice, and stir until evenly combined and pancake consistency is reached.
- Cook on the stove top in a frying pan just as you would 'regular' pancakes. I used a small spoon to drop small dollops of batter onto the pan.
- Let cool and serve.