It’s hard to imagine anything better than fluffy Belgian-style waffles, but picture them filled with a sweet caramel apple filling, served warm with a thick caramel drizzle, and a dollop of freshly whipped cream. These Caramel Apple Stuffed Waffles are an apple-themed dream for breakfast, brunch, even dessert!
This post is sponsored in conjunction with AppleWeek . I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the AppleWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Apple picking seems to be the quintessential start to all things fall. I just can’t help but think about it anytime I remotely think about the season.
We’ve gone as a family every fall since Son # 4 was born (I’m big on traditions), and he gets more excited about participating each year.
I love the fresh mountain air, the beautiful views, and snapping tons of pics of all the sons in all their boyish glory.
The hubs is all about their fresh-from–the-fryer apple cider doughnuts, fresh pressed apple cider, and sitting among the rows of apple trees, and using his pocket knife to cut slices of apple for the kids to enjoy.
We always end up with at least one bushel, at most two, of fresh picked fruit to take home.
I set aside some fruit for the kids for snacks, and then it’s time to get down to business with what’s left.
What better excuse could I have to be making messes and being up to no good in the kitchen? I can’t have perfectly good apples being ignored and going unused.
While we all have our favorite ways to enjoy them, each year I love find new favorites and experimenting with different ways to use them all up.
This year we discovered not only this recipe, but the stuffed waffle- and the world’s easiest gadget to get the job done.
As part of AppleWeek, Nordic Ware (one of the week’s gracious sponsors) sent out a variety of their awesome cook ware for us to give a test run. Their totally convenient, borderline genius Stovetop Waffler was by far my favorite.
I’m not even ashamed to admit that we’ve used it 4 out of the 5 past days. Not just in the mornings either! It’s cast aluminum, making it light weight & non stick. Also, it’s so much more convenient that another appliance taking up space on my counter top, or collecting dust under a cabinet because it’s a pain to pull out and plug in. This one uses the convenience of your own range, that chances are- is already in use cooking the rest of your meal. It’s a real win-win.
We’ve made plenty of waffles this week, these Caramel Apple Stuffed Waffles being among them, but we also used it to cook up tater tots into waffle hash browns, grilled cheese, and even pouring our regular batter into it to make corn bread waffles to serve our favorite hearty chili over.
Get your hands on your very own one HERE.
The best of both worlds (apples and cook ware) collided in today’s yummy recipe.
What if I told you that this year I took waffles to the next level and stuffed them with caramel coated, sauteed apples and then drizzled them with homemade caramel sauce before topping with another heaping spoonful of cooked apples?
That’s right, a double caramel apple whammy!
The sons topped there’s with a little bit of pancake syrup or a dollop of butter, and washed it down with a cold class of milk and you know what?
They all managed to start the day with a smile!
Things to know before making these Caramel Apple Stuffed Waffles
- These gourmet waffles are the perfect way to embrace Fall favorites. Whether your apples come fresh from the orchard, or from the grocery store, they’ll work perfectly.
- Sweet or tart, either kind of apple will work. You can’t go wrong with whatever brand you choose. Similarly, the age old argument- peeled or unpeeled, there’s no argument here. The majority of the nutrition is in the peel, so I generally prefer to leave them on. However, if you’d rather peel them for this recipe, it’ll be gourmet either way.
- While the recipe card includes a delicious homemade caramel sauce to be drizzle over the finished product, these waffles are also yummy topped with store bought sauce, dulche de leche, or even a simple dusting of powdered sugar. We don’t always have time for homemade caramel!
- If you manage to save a waffle or two, warm them up and serve topped with a scoop of sweet vanilla ice cream for a dreamy caramel apple ice cream treat!
- The secret to this batter? The addition of vanilla extract. A superb waffle is never without it. The quality of the vanilla extract can make all the difference. No imitation stuff for us, meaning we always keep Rodelle vanilla extract on hand in the spice cabinet for all of our baking needs.
DON’T FORGET TO KEEP SCROLLING AFTER THE RECIPE CARD FOR A LIST OF THIS WEEK’S AWESOME PRIZE PACK & TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY!!
Other Apple Recipes You Might Also Enjoy:
- Apple Pie Taquitos
- Healthy Applesauce & Oat Muffins
- Quick & Easy Apple Cider Glazed Donuts
- Bacon, Apple, & Cheddar Quiche
- Pan Fried Chicken with Apple Cider Gravy
Caramel Apple Stuffed Waffles
For The Waffles
- 1 envelope of active yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup of warm milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 2 tsp Rodelle Vanilla extract
- 3 cups of All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the Caramel Apple Filling
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 apples – peeled cored and diced
To Make The Waffles
- Sprinkle the yeast and sugar over the warm milk in a small bowl. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes. The yeast should be foamy at this point.
- Whisk together the eggs, butter, and vanilla until evenly combined. Whisk in the milk.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, and salt, Whisk the dry ingredients together until evenly combined.
- Make a well in the center of the flour, and pour in the egg mixture.
- Whisk until everything is well incorporated. The dough should form into a ball.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
- Gently stir in the sugar.
- Divide into 16 individual golf ball sized balls and let rest about 15 minutes.
To Make The Caramel Apple Filling
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Stir in the water, white sugar, and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl, combine diced apples and caramel sauce, leaving about 1/2-3/4 cup of caramel aside to pour over the waffles.
- Heat the Nordic Ware Stovetop Waffler according the the manufacturer's instructions. Brush the inside with melted butter.
- Stretch one of the balls of dough out a bit and place it one of the waffle iron pockets, so that it covers the majority of it. Quickly place a heaping spoonful or two of the filling in the middle of the dough. Top with a second ball of stretched out waffle dough. Repeat three times, until all the pockets are filled.
- Gently close the waffle iron and flip per the manufacturers instructions. All the toppings will meld into the dough.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until your waffles are nicely browned and cooked through.
- Remove the waffles from the iron to a waiting plate. Continue with the remaining waffles until all are cooked.
- To serve, top with a spoonful of apple filling, a drizzle of caramel sauce, and a dollop of freshly whipped cream.
- If you’re really in the mood for dessert, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
AppleWeek Prize Pack #1 from Swiss Diamond
Available in select stores only, Swiss Diamond’s XD 10 piece set features Swiss Diamond’s newest, most advanced diamond-reinforced nonstick coating. The new coating formulation contains 20% more real diamond crystals than the HD coating and was developed in Switzerland. The result is a significantly tougher cooking surface, 40% more durable with 40% better food release properties as compared to the Classic HD nonstick cookware. The are ideal for healthy cooking without oil and feature quick, easy clean-up with hot soapy water. They are PFOA-free and produced in an eco-friendly manner. The tempered glass lids have adjustable steam vents and the ergonomic handles and knobs are oven safe up to 500 F.
Swiss Diamond is a high-end cookware and kitchenware brand established in 2001, with a manufacturing facility in Sierre, Switzerland. The brand name originates from the company’s Swiss origin and it’s classic cookware line which uses a revolutionary nonstick coating made with diamond crystals for durability, superior heat conduction, and a long-lasting nonstick surface. Swiss Diamond is committed to meeting consumer needs by using safe, high-quality materials, by emphasizing innovative design with traditional European craftsmanship and by adhering to an eco-friendly production process.
AppleWeek Prize Pack #2 from Envy Apples
AppleWeek Prize Pack #3 from The Spice House
The Spice House has been sourcing premium spices since 1957, bringing you the finest selections from all over the globe. They provide the freshest and most flavorful ingredients possible via small, weekly batch grinding and blending.
Prize Pack #4 from Rodelle Vanilla
A Baker’s Dream Come True!
Package will include pure vanilla extract, gourmet dutch-processed baking cocoa, gourmet vanilla extract, gourmet vanilla beans, organic vanilla extract, organic chocolate extract, almond extract, vanilla paste, and some fun baking supplies to whip of your next batch of goodies with!
Rodelle believes ingredients makes all the difference, that’s why they are passionate about offering a complete line of superior baking ingredients, vanilla products and gourmet spice blends. Quality vanilla extract may cost a little bit more, but the flavors are worth it! Rodelle works with a farmer-owned co-op in Madagascar, Sahanala, to craft a farm-to-table vanilla that benefits the vanilla farmers and their families. Learn more about Rodelle’s vertical integration here. Or, Find out where to buy great Rodelle ingredients near you here.
Prize Pack #5 from Imperial Sugar
A Sweet Tooth’s Dream Come True!
The Winner will receive 1 case of 2-lb granulated sugar (20 bags) + 1 case of 2-lb light brown sugar (24 lbs), a silicone baking mat and a custom apron.
For 175 years, Imperial Sugar has been a trusted name in family kitchens across the South. Sweet things happen when people come together in the kitchen, and that’s why Imperial sugar has been at the heart of family traditions and celebrations for generations. We’re the secret ingredient in family-favorite recipes handed down from one generation to the next. Home cooks know that when you bake with love and Imperial sugar, that’s when memories are made. Visit ImperialSugar.com for over 100 years of time-tested recipes, kid’s crafts, how-to videos, coupons, giveaways and more.
Prize Pack # 6 from Flahavan’s Irish Oatmeal and Nairn’s Oatcakes
Flahavan’s and Nairn’s have teamed up to bring out an oatstanding prize pack filled with naturally creamy, sustainable Flahavan’s Irish Oatmeal and our go-to gluten free grahams by Nairn’s. We have a good gut feeling that you’re going to love it!
Flahavan’s Irish Oatmeal is sustainably grown and milled in Co. Waterford, Ireland by the Flahavan’s family since 1785. They have sourced the finest oats from the same Irish farming families for generations. Flahavan’s oats are milled in small batches and minimally processed according to 230 year old milling tradition and double kilned. They are non-GMO and naturally gluten-free.
Nairn’s Gluten Free Grahams are rather good in more ways than one. For a start they’re made with only the finest wholegrain oats- naturally energizing and proven to reduce cholesterol. And at only 45 calories a piece, they’re a healthy alternative the the usual graham (also 40% less sugar!). But the real feel good factor comes from knowing every delicious gluten-fee bite is batch tested to Elisa standards so they’re truly safe to eat.
Prize Pack #7 from Nordic Ware
Nordic Ware is a family owned and operated kitchenware company since 1946 and has steadily built its reputation as an internationally distributed kitchenware brand. As a leading manufacturer and innovator, Nordic Ware produces the vast majority of its products in America, at its Minneapolis headquarters, including bakeware, cookware, grillware, microwave, and kitchen gadgets and accessories.
Disclaimer: Thank you AppleWeek Sponsors: Swiss Diamond, Nordic Ware, Envy Apples, Imperial Sugar, The Spice House, Rodelle Vanilla, Flahavan’s Irish Oats and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for AppleWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The AppleWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Seven (7) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The AppleWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the AppleWeek posts or entry.