While a few simple alterations and ingredient swaps could have this Spinach White Cheddar and Apple Salad showing up in it’s Fall Sunday best, this version still says Spring to me– so that’s what I’m rolling with. Crisp, sliced apples, walnuts, berries, and shredded sharp white cheddar on a bed of fresh baby spinach. A homemade honey vinaigrette is drizzled over top and it’s all lovingly tossed together at the supper table into a complete meal in your salad bowl.
A big bowl of fresh, leafy greens–anything of the lettuce or spinach variety, even a mixture– always seems simple to me and I find it incredibly refreshing.
I can go minimalist with my meal or I can dress it up any darn way I please, even getting a bit fancy with it. Seems kind of ironic now that I think about it.
I mean typically, we’re all about dressing down in the summer with less being more due to the heat but the opposite is true for this kind of meal.
Everything is so cool and crisp that layering on the different textures and flavors doesn’t add up to heaviness, but to something that’s more robust and even more satisfying in it’s raw, uncooked simplicity.
Like wise I didn’t bother weighing this salad down with any heavy, creamy, or leave me feeling greasy dressings. Just a simple sweet honey flavored vinaigrette.
It’s also got a bit of tang from apple cider vinegar and a few spoonfuls of savory from your favorite mustard. The toppings follow along the same lines– loads of texture, and a mix of tantalizing flavors.
Want to add in a little something extra to make it a heartier meal, or slightly more savory perhaps? Pulled rotisserie chicken fits right in with this cast of characters like it was meant to be written into the script.
As the weather grows warmer, it just seems right that meals should head in the opposite direction. Who wants to sweat over the stove, or be stuck inside weighed down by heavy calories or in a carbohydrate induced fog?
Salad suppers are a perfect solution and this spinach white cheddar and apple salad in particular satisfies on all fronts. Especially with the one, two flavor and texture punch it’s packin’ from fresh berries & nuts combined with it’s slightly sweet tangy honey cider vinaigrette.
Need More Salad Inspiration? Here’s Some Other Great Ideas:
- Southwestern Pepper jack Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Chicken & Waffle Salad with Maple Dijon Vinaigrette
- Blueberry Feta Spinach Salad with Lemon Poppy seed Vinaigrette
If you’ve tried this SPINACH WHITE CHEDDAR AND APPLE SALAD, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Spinach, White Cheddar, Apple Salad with Nuts, Berries, & A Honey-Cider Vinaigrette
For The Salad
- 5-6 cups of cleaned fresh baby spinach
- 1 large Fuji apple cored and thinly sliced (if you want something a bit sweeter you can sub a pear here)
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
For The Honey-Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add all the salad ingredients to a large bowl, in the order listed. Gently toss them to evenly combine and then set the salad aside.
- Add all the salad dressing ingredients to a small glass container or jar with a lid, such as a mason jar. Secure the lid, and shake well until the ingredients are evenly incorporated. Taste the dressing and salt and pepper as desired.
- Using as much, or as little, dressing as desired-- pour the vinaigrette over the tossed salad, gently stirring a bit to spread it around, and serve immediately.