Give your traditional salad a make over with this Tex Mex Southwestern pepper jack salad. Even without meat it’s hearty and full of good for you ingredients, enough to make it a filling meal on it’s own- especially when topped with homemade creamy avocado salsa dressing.
Do you ever find yourself perusing Pinterest, or Facebook, or even sitting in a lobby flipping through a copy of Taste of Home only to see yet another salad ‘meal’ recipe and just keep flipping (or scrolling) because you just know either you’ll be the only one who likes it or it’s got a 50/50 shot at best?
I can’t tell you how many times this has been me. If it’s been you too, then this is the salad recipe for you.
This Southwestern style salad and creamy avocado dressing are packing the protein. Maybe not in meat form, but from other good for you ingredients instead.
The dressing by itself is so yummy they’re not even gonna guess it’s got a good for them base ingredient.
Let the little bit of spice give ’em a kick in the pants. After all hasn’t Mom always told you to eat your greens? They’re good for you. Geez!
Sorry. Seriously, sorry. Sometimes the mom in me just comes waltzing right on out and into my conversations. There’s really no stopping it. But back to topic. Healthy AND tasty.
This is a salad for the people. The people who love salad. The people who suffer through salad. And especially the people who take one look at a salad and stick there nose up in the air because a salad can’t possibly be a satisfying meal.
Give it a try, and tell me if it doesn’t leave em asking for more 🙂
Top it with tortilla strips or a few crushed tortilla chips for that crunchy piese de résistance. And then try to hide the smirk while you politely refrain from telling them ‘I told you so’. Nope, scratch that. You can totally smirk.
If you’ve tried this SOUTHWESTERN PEPPER JACK SALAD, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Southwestern Pepper Jack Salad with Creamy Avocado Salsa Dressing
For the Southwest Salad
- 1 head romaine lettuce roughly chopped
- 1 cup of drained can corn or thawed frozen corn
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup diced roma tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup grated pepper jack cheese or more to taste
- crispy tortilla strips or tortilla chips
For the Creamy Avocado Salsa Dressing
- 1 small avocado peeled and sliced
- 1 small jalapeno seeded, de-veined and roughly chopped, optional
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mild or medium salsa
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- tiniest of dashes of cayenne pepper optional
- Add all of the Creamy Avocado Salad Dressing ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, scraping the sides down as needed. If using it, add in the cayenne pepper before adding additional salt and pepper to taste.
- If your dressing is too thick, then add in a little extra milk and stir until you’re reached the desired consistency. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add salad ingredients to a large bowl, except for the tortilla strips/chips, and toss to combine.Toss the salad with the desired amount of dressing or drizzle dressing over individual servings, especially if you’re not planning to polish off the entire salad in one meal.
- Garnish the salad, or servings, with tortilla strips, or tortilla chips and freshly cracked salt and pepper.