A creamy, cozy rustic soup- this Slow Cooker Copy Cat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana is the best way to soothe anything that ails you. Loaded with spicy Italian sausage, tender potato slices, and kale, it’s a full meal for the whole family when served with a slice of hearty bread.
We went from 90+ days with so much moisture in the air your lungs had to fight for a full breath.
Yesterday & today we were plunged into frigid 50 degree days, and even colder nights. Not that I’m complaining though.
Bring on Fall!!!
On top of the cold, it’s also been drizzling and dreary alllllllll day long, and it’s forecasted to go well into the night.
Great sleeping weather though!
I’m careful not to get too comfortable though for a couple or reasons. First, I know this is only a temporary reprieve from the end of Summer heat. Secondly, it’s coming to us courtesy of the dregs/outer bands of Hurricane Harvey. And as I sit here wrapped up in my throw blanket typing this, enjoying my long sleeve shit and cozy pj pants, I can enjoy it but only so much seeing all the destruction and havoc being wrought from this storm down in Texas.
So tonight while my family’s warm and full courtesy of this yummy soup, we’re counting all our blessings.
While I would love to Fed Ex, or even hand deliver, a Costco sized batch of this to those down in Houston- I can’t. What I can do though, and what I did do, is pull on a hoodie and heat to Costco while my slow cooker finished my dinner for me.
I stocked up on Gatorade and water. I bought an extra bag of dog food, and a box of diapers. And on the way home I dropped them off at the local grocer, where several horse trailers are being piled high with goods to be driven down to the storm victims in Texas.
When I got home, I breathed in the delicious scent of this soup bubbling away. I tucked my youngest into my lap and helped him do some of his Summer reading. Then watched a movie with all my guys while we waited for our piping hot dinner to be ready, in our very dry home, while the rain ran down the windows outside.
I counted my blessings.
If you need a little bit of warm and cozy in your day, there’s nothing that quite fits the bill like this.
There’s nothing quite as warm and cozy as tucking into this Slow Cooker Copy Cat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana. It is truly a soup to soothe the soul, and stick to your ribs.
Spicy Italian sausage, fresh kale and russet potatoes in a rich, creamy broth topped off with crispy, crumbled bacon and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. This is one recipe everyone needs in their slow cooker cook book.
And consider sharing a bowl with a friend, you never know when someone could use the warmth a simple bowl of rustic soup can offer.
Slow Cooker Copy Cat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage casings removed
- 32 oz can chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2-3 large russet baking potatoes sliced in half and then into 1/4 inch thin slices
- 1 large white onion diced
- 1/4 cup crisp cooked crumbled bacon (optional)
- 2 cups washed kale stems removed & roughly chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- freshly grated Parmesan for garnish (optional)
- Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat until it's no longer pink and has just started to crisp up.
- Drain the sausage and transfer the cooked sausage to your slow cooker. Add in the chicken broth, garlic, potatoes, and onion.
- Cover & cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, until the potatoes are cooked and soft/fork tender. The potatoes will break up a bit when you stir the soup, and that's perfectly fine.
- Turn the slow cooker off and add the kale. Return the lid and let everything sit for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and serve. Stir the bacon into the soup, or sprinkle some over top each bowl of soup before serving- if using.
- Garnish each bowl with freshly grated Parmesan, if desired.
Other Soup Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Pictures Updated 8/30/2017