This red, white, and blue layer cake is the perfect patriotic sweet treat for the Fourth of July. Decadent homemade cream cheese frosting blankets this easy red, white, and blue cake, making for a deliciously impressive dessert.
It’s that time of year when everyone is starting to gear up for all the summer celebrations. There is just so much to celebrate in the summer.
While Fourth of July may be our celebration of the country’s independence to me it’s the celebration of all things that make summer so great.
Fourth of July for me is all about long sun drenched days spent outside, running around with the kids.
It’s fireworks and barbecues and red, white, and blue nostalgic Americana.
And now it’s cake.
You can make almost anything festive for the summer holidays by making it red, white, and blue. This red, white, and blue layer cake is no exception.
Granted, cake is always festive in my opinion, but sometimes I want it to be extra festive like when I make red, white, and blue waffles for breakfast.
How To Make A Shortcut Layer Cake
Just because this cake wearing its patriotic finery and looks fancy doesn’t mean it was complicated to make. In fact, this cake is a shortcut recipe.
Instead of making the cake from scratch, I use red and blue funfetti cake mix for the colored layers and a box of white cake mix for the white cake.
I bake each layer in an 8 or 9 inch cake pan. Then I layer them on top of each other, separated by a layer of the most delicious cream cheese frosting you can imagine.
Don’t worry about taking the shortcut on this one. The box mixes make a delicious cake.
Besides everyone will be talking about the stunning presentation and the dreamy cream cheese frosting.
Believe it or not, the cream cheese icing is also super easy to make.
You only need butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla.
If you want to get fancy, you can use some food coloring to make blue and red icing for little pops of patriotic color.
The result is a stunning patriotic treat, perfect for Fourth of July celebrations.
Other Delicious Red, White & Blue Themed Desserts:
If you’ve tried this RED, WHITE AND BLUE LAYER CAKE, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Red, White and Blue Layered Cake
For The Cake
- 1 8.25 ounce package Funfetti Aqua Blue cake mix prepared to package instructions for 8-inch pan
- 1 8.25 ounce package Funfetti Radiat Red cake mix prepared to package instructions for 8-inch pan
- 1 15.25 ounce box white cake mix prepared to package instructions for 8-inch pan
For The Icing
- 1 8 ounce packages cream cheese
- 1 cups butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Bake cakes according to package directions in 8 or 9-inch pans. Allow to cool completely and remove from pans.
- Using a mixer, cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in the powdered sugar and then add in the vanilla.
- Spread out cream cheese frosting over the first cake layer and then stack another layer on top of that one. Add icing and add the final layer of cake. Finish off with frosting on the top layer and around the entire cake.
- Top with sprinkles for a festive finish.
Leave a Comment