Rainbow chip fudge is a colorful two ingredient fudge recipe. This quick and easy treat is perfect for celebrating birthdays and other special occasions with the kids. They just gobble it up!
We have certain traditions in this house.
For example, for each of my sons, I make them a special treat of their choosing on their birthdays.
Every year for as long as I can remember, they have each requested this rainbow chip fudge, or as they call it, birthday fudge.
And because it is so easy to make, I am all too happy to put this sweet treat together for their birthdays!
What is rainbow chip fudge?
This is a ‘two ingredient’ fudge, not counting the optional garnish of rainbow chips.
This quick fudge is NOT the same as your Grandma’s traditional fudge.
For lack of a better term, it’s literally frosting fudge.
Or a cheaters version of from scratch fudge made from combining chocolate and a tub of storebought frosting.
It is made from white chocolate and a jar of rainbow chip frosting.
Rainbow chip frosting is vanilla frosting with mini rainbow candy chips in them.
Because it consists only of white chocolate and frosting, this fudge recipe will not stay firm if left sitting out at room temperature.
If it gets too soft, simply pop it back in the refrigerator to firm back up. No big deal!
To make this recipe you only need white chocolate baking chips, rainbow chip frosting and additional rainbow chips if you want to add extras for garnish.
How to Make
To make this, grease and 8×8 baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Set it aside while you melt the white chocolate.
To melt the white chocolate, put the white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat them on medium heat at 30 second intervals.
Stir the chocolate in between each interval.
As soon as the chocolate is mostly melted, even if it has a few lumps, don’t microwave it again or you will burn the chocolate.
When the chocolate is melted and smooth, remove the lid and foil seal from the frosting and pop the frosting into the microwave for 20 seconds.
Stir to make sure it’s completely melted.
Now pour the melted frosting into the melted chocolate, stirring until everything is just evenly incorporated.
Then transfer the mixture to the baking dish and smooth it out with a spatula.
Sprinkle the rainbow chips on top.
Refrigerate the dish until the fudge has set. This normally takes about an hour.
Once it’s set, cut it into bite sized pieces and enjoy!
How to Store
To store this fudge, you can keep it in an air tight container. If you keep it on the counter, it won’t stay firm but you can always firm it up by refrigerating it prior to serving.
Tips and Tricks
- For easier slicing and serving, line your baking dish with parchment paper before adding the fudge mixture.
- Make sure you don’t overheat the chocolate. Overheating the chocolate will burn it and cause it to seize up and become nasty and unusable. To avoid overheating, make sure to stick to heating it in 30 second increments and stopping as soon as the chocolate is mostly melted and smooth.
- If you do overheat the chocolate, dump the chocolate and start again. You won’t be able to save it.
- You can make variations of this two ingredient fudge recipe with any combination of melted chocolate and frosting you’d like. Variations of this are perfect for the holiday season!
Other Fudge Recipes You’ll Love
This rainbow chip fudge or birthday fudge is one of my family’s favorite quick and easy desserts.
Make it the next time you want to satisfy your sweet tooth with virtually no work.
Looking for other fudge recipes? Try these:
If you’ve tried this RAINBOW CHIP FUDGE, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Rainbow Chip Fudge
- 1 12 oz bag white chocolate baking chips or wafers
- 1 jar rainbow chip frosting
- rainbow chips for garnish
- Grease an 8x8" baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Add the chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl. Heat them on medium heat at 30 second intervals, whisking in between each one, just until the chocolate is melted. If it's mostly melted except for a few lumps- do not microwave it again- they will smooth out with additional whisking.
- Remove the lid and the inner foil seal completely from the frosting. Then microwave it for 20 seconds. Stir to ensure it's melted.
- Add the frosting to the melted chocolate, stirring just until evenly incorporated.
- Transfer the chocolate mixture to the prepared baking dish. Smooth out with a spatula, as needed. Sprinkle with rainbow chips.
- Refrigerate the dish until the fudge has set, at least 1 hour but no more than 2 should be needed.
- Use a very sharp knife to cut the fudge into bite sized pieces.