Pesto cream cheese spread with sun dried tomatoes levels up your cheese and cracker game. You can throw together this delicious dip in just a couple minutes of active prep time. It’s layered appearance makes it look impressive, making it the perfect appetizer recipe for any party.
Cheese and crackers are a classic snack for a reason: everyone loves them and the combination is yummy.
When I put together a cheese plate for a party or entertaining, I like to make a centerpiece for the platter.
If it’s the holiday season, I’ll often use this Christmas tree cheese ball.
And while this pesto cream cheese spread with sun dried tomatoes would be festive enough for a holiday party, you can make it and entertain with it year round.
We take it to everything from potlucks, barbecues, and even to Game Day parties. It always gets rav reviews.
Pesto Cream Cheese Spread – A Versatile Savory Appetizer Idea
This pesto cream cheese ball with sun dried tomatoes is the perfect appetizer idea.
You can put it out for a cocktail party, before a dinner party, or even with brunch as a way to dress up a bagel platter.
With a creamy, buttery base, pesto and sweet sun dried tomatoes, everyone will be glad to see this any time of day!
The Easiest Layered Cheese Ball Ever!
Not only is it so delicious, but this spread is a very easy take on a cheese ball.
This appetizer recipe needs only 5 easy to find ingredients and takes only minutes to assemble.
To make this creamy spread, get started by lining a glass bowl that holds roughly 3 cups with plastic wrap. Make sure the whole surface of the bowl is covered with the plastic wrap. Set the bowl aside.
After you’ve prepared the bowl, add the cream cheese and butter to a medium mixing bowl. Then, use a hand mixer and beat it together until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Now you can set this base mixture aside while you mix together the Parmesan cheese and pesto together until it’s combined.
Now it’s time to assemble the pesto cream cheese spread.
Start by by scooping half of the cream cheese butter mixture into the plastic lined bowl.
Then spread the half of the pesto over top of the cream cheese. Next spread sun dried tomatoes over the pesto. Once you have made the first 3 layers, repeat this process with the remaining ingredients.
If your bowl is on the larger side, you may only get one good layer of each ingredient before topping with the remaining cream cheese. That’s ok too!
Cover the whole bowl with plastic wrap to seal the bowl. Now comes the hardest part. You have to let this bowl of goodness rest in the fridge for at least an hour, but up to 4 before you serve it.
How To Make The Best Pesto Cheese Ball: Tips & Tricks
This recipe is really easy to whip up, but as with everything else- there’s always a couple of things we’ve found along the way that can help make it the best version of itself it can possibly be. So here goes…
- This cheese ball recipe can easily be made ahead of time & frozen, making it a perfect grab & go appetizer that’s ready whenever you need it. Just make sure it’s tightly wrapped in plastic wrap before freezing so that it stays fresh. Pull out and thaw to room temperature before serving.
- If you’re making this cheese ball to serve a crowd, I wholeheartedly suggest doubling the recipe. It will go quicker than you think!
- For an extra special presentation, once you’ve plated this cheese ball dip- top with a handful of pine nuts and a sprinkle of freshly shaved Parmesan cheese.
- Trying to cut calories? You can use either reduced fat or Neufchatel cheese in place of regular cream cheese. Also, you can omit the butter if you’d prefer.
- If omitting the butter, still make sure you thoroughly whip the cream cheese before incorporating as instructed. It makes all the difference in the final texture as well as ease of scooping & spreading.
How to Serve the Pesto Cream Cheese Spread
When you are ready to serve the spread, take the bowl out of the fridge. Uncover the spread and then turn the bowl over onto a large plate.
The bowl will release the cheese spread onto the plate.
Then take the rest of the plastic wrap off of the spread and surround the cheese ball with crackers, pieces of crusty baguette, or sturdy veggies.
Other Cheese Balls & Spreads You Might Like To Try
Make this pesto cream cheese spread with sun dried tomatoes for your next occasion and wow your guests.
Looking for other cheese spread recipes? Try these:
- Caramel Candied Apple Cream Cheese Spread
- Tex Mex Cheese Ball
- Shrimp Cracker Spread
- Basic Cheese Ball Trio
- Italian Garlic Butter Spread
If you’ve tried this LAYERED PESTO & SUN DRIED TOMATO CREAM CHEESE SPREAD, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Layered Pesto & Sun Dried Tomato Cream Cheese Spread
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 3 1/2 oz basil pesto sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup oil packed sun dried tomatoes finely chopped
- Line a medium glass bowl with plastic wrap, one that holds roughly three cups, leaving excess wrap overlapping the bowls edges. Set aside
- Add the cream cheese and butter to a medium mixing bowl, and using a hand mixer cream them together until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the pesto and Parmesan cheese until evenly incorporated.
- Layer half of the cream cheese mixture into the bottom of the bowl, using a spoon or spatula to gently spread out evenly.
- Spread half the pesto evenly out over top, followed by the sun dried tomatoes. Repeat the layers.
- Cover with the excess plastic wrap to seal, and refrigerate for at least an hour but up to four hours.
- When ready to serve, carefully use the plastic wrap to remove the cheese mold from the bowl. Set it upside down (the larger end) onto a serving plate and carefully remove the plastic wrap. Discard the wrap.
- Serve with assorted crackers or pretzels of choice.
Leave a Comment