A thick and creamy potato soup cooked in the crockpot that’s loaded with sautéed mushrooms and melted Swiss cheese, and served hot with crispy bacon crumbled on top. Our mushroom & swiss loaded potato soup is the upgraded version that’s perfect cold weather comfort food.
How many times have you been out to eat perusing the menu and wondering what the soup of the day was?
While I may wonder, I often don’t even bother to ask. Other times, I’ll decide to go a bit rogue and inquire.
I’m usually disappointed, not because of the quality of the joint or what they’re offering, but because we cook so often I find I’m not willing to pay money for something I regularly make myself.
However, there was one day where this little voice just kept whispering in my ear that I must ask after the days’ special. I am so glad I did, because it never have occurred to me otherwise to makeover one of my favorite soup’s from my childhood with one of my favorite adult flavor combinations.
And that is how I stumbled upon this idea for mushroom & swiss loaded potato soup.
Now I’m as likely to make a pot of my favorite potato soup on a cold day as I am to stir in some Swiss cheese and sautéed mushrooms. Either one’s pure comfort food in my soup pot, so it’s a win win.
At it’s heart this mushroom & swiss loaded potato soup recipe embraces our favorite cold weather comfort food. A piping hot base of creamy potato soup, but with an added dimension from tender baby bella mushrooms, rich Swiss cheese, and a blend of seasonings.
This new version is slow cooked to perfection in the bowl of your crockpot so you can go about your day, and have dinner ready in the evening while barely lifting a finger throughout the whole process.
And to make it even easier, because we love a good short cut, we’ve used frozen hash browns in lou of the more traditional shredding and chopping of the potatoes.
Ladle yourself a bowl full at supper time, top it with crisp, crumbled bacon, an extra sprinkle of shredded Swiss, and serve somebody you love a bowl full of thick and creamy comfort.
Mushroom & Swiss Loaded Potato Soup
- 32 oz. bag frozen diced hash browns
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 16 oz. baby bella mushrooms washed and chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 8 oz. Swiss cheese shredded and divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 8 oz. pkg cream cheese
- 1 lb. bacon fried until crispy and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In the ceramic bowl of a large crockpot, add the frozen hash browns, broth, cream soup (undiluted), mushrooms, onion, half of the Swiss cheese, garlic powder, cayenne, and nutmeg.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, 4 hors on high, or until the soup is hot and the potatoes have been cooked tender.
- 30 minutes before serving add in the block of cream cheese, and stir until the cheese has melted and is evenly incorporated into the soup. Salt & pepper the soup, to taste.
- Ladle the hot soup into bowls and top each serving with bacon and shredded Swiss cheese.