Mediterranean Tortellini Pasta Salad makes a filling vegetarian meal, or a flavor-packed Summer side dish. With bright, fresh veggies, cheese filled tortellini pasta, and salty feta cheese tossed in a Greek-style red wine vinaigrette this is bound to be the headliner of any menu.
It was the day after Christmas, and all through the house children were playing with plenty of arguments over tv time and game systems for their parents to dowse.
The wrapping paper was all picked up and Santa’s supplies packed away with care, when I realized, ‘Oh, crap!’ Dinnertime soon would be there.
The sons’ were all asking, wondering what there was going to be to eat.
And this Mom had nothing. I’d never even thought to pull out any meat….
None. Nada. Zilch.
It was then that a little light from heaven shone down…right into my fridge. And my heart and belly (and my Mommy-conscience) leapt with joy!
(Let’s be honest, what was I going to rhyme with Zilch or fridge?!)
Pasta with Cucumbers, Tomatoes and vinegrette dressing…maybe even a little Feta cheese.
An easy, meatless meal? Yes, please.
Oh, had I been craving some good pasta lately. And the lasagna I’d had for dinner on Christmas Eve and again on Christmas day still hadn’t cut it.
And thus to us, a new recipe was born.
It’s easy with this Mediterranean Tortellini Pasta Salad. It was meant to be.
You cook that cheese-filled tortellini according to the package directions. Then ya gotta cool them off in a cool water bath in a strainer.
In the same vein, soak your sliced onions in an ice cold bowl of water. Yes, you should totally do this. It keeps them from leaching their colors, and from being quite as strong.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, toss together the onion slices, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, cheese, and tortellini. Such a beautiful combination of Mediterranean essentials. The ones that count!
In a separate bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Slowly add the olive oil and whisk everything together until fully incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk together until you’ve got an easy Greek-style red wine vinaigrette in the works.
It may not be your traditional salad, or even pasta side dish, but this Mediterranean Tortellini Pasta Salad is where I’d want to look for a sensational, seasonal entree.
It’s easy. It’s quick. It only involves a few ingredients, and it ends up being an amazing meal. You can’t go wrong when you want to whip up a batch of this Mediterranean Tortellini Salad. It’s a great option got a vegetarian supper, a snack, or a yummy potluck option.
For The Salad
- 1 lb tortellini
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved
- 1 cucumber seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 4 oz feta cheese crumbled
For the Dressing
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Soak the onions in a bowl of clean, cold water. Drain after 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl add the onion slices, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, cheese, and tortellini. Gently toss them together.
- In a different bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Slowly add the olive oil and whisk everything together until fully incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the tortellini salad and gently mix until everything's nicely coated with the dressing. Serve this salad warm or at room temperature.
Post & Pictures Updated 8/4/2018