Homemade muffins are a simple baked treat that’s perfect for so many different occasions. Grab a large mixing bowl, a handful of pantry staples, and in minutes you can whip up your own homemade oatmeal muffin mix. Stored in the pantry it stays good for months, meaning you can whip out a batch of homemade muffins with ease anytime!
My family loves a good grab and go breakfast. A muffin fits right into that category, and into their small, yet capable hands.
Something else they love? A snack to tide them over until dinner. Oh, the snacks!
Luckily, a healthy, hearty muffin fits in there too.
And with all these lean, lanky growing boys with limbs akimbo, this go-to homemade oatmeal muffin mix is something I make sure to keep on hand in the pantry.
This recipe keeps in the cupboard for months, and it bakes up into warm, crumbly goodness.
This ‘base’ recipe is the only oatmeal muffin recipe you’ll ever need because it is so adaptable, making your favorite flavors easy to incorporate.
You can substitute ingredients to your liking, add toppings, raisins, nuts, berries, candies.
Basically, you can use whatever you have on hand to change it up and get the oatmeal muffin based breakfast or you’ve been dreaming of.
Added bonus? Your house will smell amazing.
Also, you’ll need a *really* big bowl to make a batch of this oatmeal muffin mix. The recipe can easily be halved if you’d prefer.
However, for me it’s worth it to put in the extra effort to find said big bowl and mix up this big ol’ batch that will yield almost seven dozen muffins, because it is just that convenient to keep on hand.
Impromptu playdate? Need to welcome the new neighbors? Grab this mix from the pantry and in no time you’ll have fresh baked goodies to share.
How about telling your kids teacher just how much you appreciate the time and effort they’ve invested? Put this mix in some pretty packaging, include a recipe card, and you’ve got a great gift that keeps on giving.
If you’ve tried this HOMEMADE OATMEAL MUFFIN MIX, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Make-Ahead Homemade Oatmeal Muffin Mix
- 7 cups all purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 2 1/4 cups shortening
- 18 oz quick cooking oats or 18 oz of regular oats that you've given a good whirl with a blade in a food processor
- 3 cups homemade muffin mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup of mix-ins optional
- In an extra large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder until they're equally incorporated.
- Using your preferred method, cut in the shortening until the mix is the consistency of corn meal.
- Stir in the oats until they've evenly incorporated and spread throughout the mix.
- Seal in an airtight container. This mix is shelf stable and will keep perfectly fine on pantry shelves.
- In a medium size bowl, stir together 3 cups of the homemade muffin mix, 1/2 cup milk, and 1 beaten egg until all are evenly incorporated into batter.
- Line a muffin tin/cupcake pan with paper baking liners and fill each muffin cup with batter to just over 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes at 350 degrees, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Leave a Comment