Who needs a can of condensed cream of chicken soup when you can make your own homemade cream of chicken soup quickly and easily? This cream of chicken soup recipe is a delicious stand in for any condensed can of soup. It’s so good that it could be a meal on its own!
August brings the end of summer and the end of summer means the official beginning of comfort food season.
And that means so many hearty cozy casseroles and soups many of which call for a condensed can of cream of something.
I’m all about short cuts where I can make but there’s something to be said for ditching the can of cream of whatever for your very own homemade cream of chicken soup.
Why make homemade cream of chicken soup?
Yes, you can just go to the store and buy a red and white can full of ready made cream of chicken soup, but have you ever read the ingredients?
Those soups are full of unpronounceable ingredients and tons of added salt.
Plus they come out in a weird gelatinous blob that is just less than appetizing.
My homemade version cuts out all those questionable ingredients, gets rid of the weird jiggly texture and creates a rich, simple soup you can enjoy on its own or in any of your favorite recipes.
Part of the beauty of this homemade version of the store bought staple is it is so easy to make because it uses basic ingredients.
You probably have most of what you need on hand already!
To make this you need:
- chicken broth
- cooked, shredded chicken
- spices- garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper, paprika, poultry seasoning and parsley
How to Make
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
Once the butter is melted, stir in the flour.
Keep stirring until the butter and flour combine to form a golden brown paste.
When this happens, whisk in the chicken broth and the milk. Keep whisking until the the mixtures starts to thicken.
Then stir in the shredded chicken and the spices.
Bring everything to a simmer and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Remove it from the heat and either serve immediately or can it for use in your favorite recipes.
How to Store and Serve
You can serve this recipe right away.
If you choose to serve it as soup, you may want to thin it with more broth since it will get much thicker as it cools.
If you want to save this recipe for later, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Tips and Tricks
- Don’t be alarmed if the soup is thinner than you think it should be. The soup will thicken up as it cools.
- If using as soup and not mixing it into a recipe, you may want to thin it with water, extra stock or milk.
- Don’t stop whisking until the soup starts to thicken slightly. Constant whisking helps you avoid any lumps.
- Shredded rotisserie chicken works very well in this soup.
- You can sub fresh chopped parsley for the dried version. This will give your condensed soup a lovely pop of color.
Recipes to Use Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup In
We love this homemade cream of chicken soup both on its own and in various casseroles and other dishes. Make it today and have some on hand to make your favorite dishes like:
- Monterrey Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- Chicken Rice Pilaf
- Slow Cooker Creamy Italian Chicken
- Chicken & Dumpling Casserole
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Chicken Noodle Soup
If you’ve tried this HOMEMADE CONDENSED CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cooked shredded chicken
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- In a medium saucepan, add the butter and heat over medium heat until melted. Add in the flour and whisk until thickened.
- Whisk in the chicken broth, then add in the milk. Continue to whisk until slightly thickened.
- Add in the shredded chicken and spices and whisk well to combine.
- Allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately or can for later use. The soup will continue to thicken as it cools.
Leave a Comment