Creamy French onion dip is a knock your socks off appetizer you’ll love! With only 3 easy ingredients and an effortless prep, this will become your new go to whenever you are entertaining.
In this house, we go crazy for dips.
And I go even crazier for dips that barely take any work at all to put together but still taste totally delicious.
Say hello to my new BFF: this easy three ingredient, extra creamy French onion dip.
It’s so good! None of us can get enough!
Even my veggie hating youngest son will happily dunk veggies into this goodness because it is so extra silky and fluffy.
And I love it because I can whip it together at a moment’s notice and have something to serve to guests or as a delicious snack for just us.
You only need 3 easy to find ingredients to make this:
- Cream cheese– Use the full fat kind for best flavor. Let it soften on the counter before you put the dip together.
- Sour cream– Again full fat is best.
- French onion soup mix– Use one packet of your favorite brand.
How to Make
Making this dip is so easy!
To do it, add the softened cream cheese to a large mixing bowl.
Then using an electric hand mixer, whip the softened cream cheese until it is smooth and creamy.
Use a spatula to fold in the sour cream and French onion soup mix until they are both evenly incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
Enjoy with your favorite dippers!
You can really dip whatever you like into this creamy dip. Here are a few of our favorites:
- celery sticks
- crunchy bread sticks
- baguette slices
- bagel chips
- melba toasts
- sugar snap peas
- sliced cucumber
Can I make homemade French onion mix instead of using the packet?
If you prefer to make a homemade mix as opposed to using store bought, you’ll want to mix together:
- 2 1/2 tbsp dried minced onion
- 4 cubes beef boullion (crumbled) or powdered beef boullion
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
Mix it all together, and this equals roughly one store-bought seasoning packet.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes! You can absolutely make it ahead of time.
Just keep it in a sealed container in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to use both full fat cream cheese and sour cream for the best mouthfeel and flavor.
- Don’t skip letting the cream cheese soften on the counter first.
- While we used to make French onion dip with sour cream and a French onion packet, that pales in comparison to this reach and creamy French onion cream cheese dip. It’s worth the extra minute of mixing for an extra silky smooth and fluffy dip!
Other Dip Recipes We Love
Creamy French onion dip is a the perfect recipe to keep in your back pocket.
Whip it up at a moment’s notice for a knock your socks of good snack everyone will love!
Looking for other dip recipes? Here are a few more of our favorites:
If you’ve tried this CREAMY FRENCH ONION DIP, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Creamy French Onion Dip
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 packet French onion soup mix
- Add the cream cheese to a large mixing bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, whip the softened cream cheese until it's become smooth & creamy.
- Use a spatula to fold in the sour cream until the mixture's smooth.
- Add the soup mix to the bowl, and using the same spatula fold it in until evenly incorporated.
Leave a Comment