This classic sausage roll recipe is great for anyone who wants a fun, hand held dinner or snack. These rolls are bursting with flavor and so easy to make, you can have them for dinner even on your busiest nights.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
My boys love sausage rolls.
What’s not to love? Sausage, carbs and cheese!
Yes to it all!
Even better, they are buttery, delicious and easily portable kind of like a hot pocket.
It makes them super fun to eat on top of being super yummy!
Here’s what you need to make these sausage rolls.
- Refrigerated crescent rolls – Pillsbury is my favorite, but you can use other brands if you prefer.
- Ground pork sausage – You can use mild or hot, either one works great in this recipe.
- Cream cheese – I like regular cream cheese, but you could use low fat or reduced fat if you prefer.
- Egg white – You just need to lightly beat it.
- Poppy seeds – If you can’t find poppy seeds, you can skip this.
How to make
To make these, start by browning the sausage in a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Crumble it as it cooks.
Once the sausage has been cooked, crumbled, and browned completely, drain out the excess grease.
After you drain the grease, return the sausage to the skillet and add the cream cheese.
Stir the until the mixture’s creamy with the cream cheese evenly mixed into the sausage.
Let the sausage and cream cheese mixture to cool completely.
Next, pop open the tube of crescent rolls and then roll the dough out flat in one piece onto a cutting board.
With one roll rolled out, gently press all the seams together until sealed, which should create one large rectangular sheet of dough.
Next, spread half of the sausage & cream cheese mixture evenly down the center of the dough, lengthwise, so that it forms a log lengthwise down the middle.
Serving and storing
These rolls are best served fresh and hot from the oven.
You can serve them with a side of marinara sauce, Parmesan cheese, ranch dressing, or your favorite toppings or dips.
This also goes great with a side salad.
To store, you can tightly wrap a roll in plastic wrap once it is cooled.
Place in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days.
To reheat, you can microwave an individual slice or bake at 300 for about 10 minutes or until warmed through.
Tips and tricks
- Don’t over stuff the rolls because they can spill out as you roll them.
- Make sure you fully seal them edges to prevent the sausage and cream cheese from leaking out.
- Don’t forget to drain the sausage before mixing with the cream cheese!
- Need help easily separating the yolk from the white for the egg wash? Use an old water bottle, squeeze it, hold it over the yolk, and as it inflates it will gently suck the yolk up and out.
Other easy hand held recipes
Classic sausage rolls are a yummy, delicious dinner your family will love!
You can make this tonight and you will not find anyone in your family complaining.
If you love easy hand held recipes that come together quickly, check out these:
If you’ve tried this CLASSIC SAUSAGE ROLL RECIPE, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Classic Sausage Roll Recipe
- 2 8 oz tubes refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 lb ground pork sausage mild or hot, depending on personal preference
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- In a medium skillet set over medium heat, brown the sausage & crumbling it as it cooks. Once the sausage has been cooked, crumbled, and browned completely- drain it of excess grease.
- Return the sausage to the skillet & add the cream cheese, stirring until the mixture's creamy with the cream cheese evenly mixed in.
- Set the sausage & cream cheese mixture aside, and let it cool completely.
- Working with one crescent roll tube at a time, pop open the tube and then roll the dough out flat in one piece onto a cutting board.
- Gently press all the seams together to seal, creating one large rectangular sheet of dough.
- Spread half of the sausage & cream cheese mixture evenly down the center of the dough, lengthwise, so that it forms a log lengthwise down the middle.
- Roll the dough up lengthwise, like a jelly roll, and then tuck the ends under and carefully transfer it to a non stick baking sheet. Repeat for the second roll.
- Using a silicone brush, brush each roll evenly with the egg wash. Then sprinkle the poppy seeds evenly out over top.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown and puffed.
- Let the rolls rest for 1-2 minutes, then using a sharp knife- slice into individual servings and enjoy.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details. As always, all opinions are my own.
Leave a Comment