Skip the tired green bean casserole this holiday season and serve these delicious bacon wrapped green bean bundles instead. Your guests will adore the flavor packed bacon green been bundles. The perfect side dish to dress up any meal!
And while most people think a holiday meal needs green beans, they also think that holiday green beans means green bean casserole.
Let’s be real. Green bean casserole is overrated especially when you could be serving these bacon wrapped green bean bundles.
Bacon Wrapped Green Bean Bundles- The Yummiest Holiday Green Beans!
What’s not to love about this side dish? Instead of cream of something soup and canned beans, this scrumptious holiday side dish uses fresh green beans and flavors them with a rich buttery sauce full of sweet and savory flavors.
The combination of brown sugar, mustard powder, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce gives the sauce the most addicting taste.
Add some thick cut bacon and you can’t go wrong!
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Green Bean Bundles
Making these bacon wrapped green bean bundles requires a bit of patience but it’s not hard and you can do a lot of the prep work ahead of time. Plus your patience will be rewarded with a delicious side dish your holiday guests will devour.
To make it, first add the green beans to a large pot and fill it with water. Then bring the beans to a boil and let them boil for 2-3 minutes.
Strain the beans and pat them dry. Next transfer the green beans to a baking dish.
Now you can put together your sauce by adding the butter to a medium sized skillet and melting it.
When the butter has melted, you can stir in the sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and salt and pepper. Stir until all the ingredients are combined.
Then pour the sauce over the green beans in the baking dish and give them a quick toss to make sure they are evenly coated in the marinade.
Cover the baking dish tightly with cling wrap and refrigerate for two hours or up to overnight. Once the green beans have marinated, you can take the beans out of the fridge.
Separate the slices of bacon and cut them in half. Now gather roughly 8 green beans together in a bundle and wrap the half piece of bacon around them. Hold the bacon in place with a toothpick.
Then place the bacon wrapped green bean bundle on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray. Repeat until you’ve bundled all the green beans.
Now you can put them into the oven and bake them at 400 for 20 minutes before flipping them over and baking for an additional 15-20 minutes.
Let the beans cook slightly, and carefully remove the toothpicks from each bundle. Since the bacon and beans are both still hot, I like to hold the bundle beans in place with a pair of tongs, and use my fingernails to gingerly pluck the tooth picks out.
Discard the toothpicks and use the tongs to transfer the green bean bundles to a serving dish or platter. Serve and enjoy!
Other Holiday Side Dishes You Might Love
While I love these bacon wrapped green bean bundles as an elegant holiday side dish here are some other side dishes you might love:
- Pumpkin Parmesan Twice Baked Potatoes
- French-Style Deviled Eggs
- Cream Braised Brussels Sprouts
- Sweet Potato Casserole Bites
Canned beans have their time & place, but not typically as part of a particularly special menu. You’ll want to make these bacon wrapped green bundles for your next holiday meal to dress up your side dishes.
Need Some Other Holiday Green Bean Inspiration?
You can always search ‘green beans’ in the search bar to see them all, but here are a few of our favorites:
If you’ve tried these BACON WRAPPED GREEN BEAN BUNDLES, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Bacon Wrapped Green Bean Bundles
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh green beans trimmed
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb thick cut bacon
- Add the green beans to a large pot. Fill the pot with water, and bring the beans to a boil. Let them boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the beans to a strainer immediately to drain. Pat the beans dry. Transfer them to a 9x13" baking dish, and set is aside.
- Add the butter to a medium sized skillet, and melt. Once the butter's melted stir in the sugar, mustard, Worcestershire, garlic, salt & pepper. Whisk the sauce together until evenly combined.
- Pour the smooth sauce evenly out over the green beans in the baking dish. Seal the dish tightly with cling wrap, and refrigerate for at least two hours (or overnight) to let the beans marinate.
- Remove the beans from the refrigerator. Separate the slices of bacon and cut each one in half.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray, in preparation for the green bean bundles.
- Gather roughly 8 beans together in a bundle, and wrap a piece of bacon around the middle. Secure it with a toothpick. Repeat until all the beans have been wrapped & have been placed on the prepared pan.
- Bake the green bean bundles at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven, turn them over, and bake them for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Gently remove the toothpicks, without breaking the bacon bundle.
- Serve the green bean bundles and enjoy!