5 minute homemade taco sauce lets you ditch processed store bought sauce in favor of homemade flavor. You can customize this easy taco sauce to suit your taste and take taco night to the next level.
Taco night is more than a weekly occurrence in our house.
Yes, there’s almost always Taco Tuesday but sometimes there’s Taco Tuesday and Taco Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
They are just so easy and satisfy everyone.
Especially with this delicious homemade taco sauce.
Why Make Your Own Taco Sauce?
This bold taco sauce not only is just as or more delicious than store bought taco sauce but it has a few perks.
First, while it tastes like Ortega taco sauce it doesn’t have any of the questionable ingredients like high fructose corn syrup that is in commercially prepared taco sauce.
Plus you can very easily control the flavors in this taco sauce.
You can adjust the heat level to your taste and control the salt content simply by adjusting the levels of seasoning you use.
How to Make Homemade Taco Sauce
Making your own taco sauce is so fast and easy!
There is no actual cooking required but you reap the very flavorful reward of a zesty sauce you can feel good about.
To make it, just add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until they are combined.
If the sauce is too thick, you can thin it out with a little water.
This sauce is meant to be a tad more on the thinner side for easier pouring (or spooning) onto your favorite Mexican dishes.
You can serve the sauce immediately, or store it in the fridge until chilled.
Tips and Tricks
Making this taco sauce is so easy. Follow these tips and tricks to make the best tasting taco sauce you have ever had.
- Taste the sauce after you blend it so you can adjust the spices if needed.
- If you don’t like a lot of spice, omit the cayenne pepper.
- For extra kick, add extra cayenne pepper.
- To add extra flavors, you could squeeze in lime juice or even add a chipotle pepper into the blender.
- Store the sauce in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze it in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
Delicious Ways to Use Homemade Taco Sauce
I love using this easy homemade taco sauce for taco night. Make it this Taco Tuesday and step up your taco game.
Looking for other ways to use this delicious taco sauce? Put it in:
It makes a delicious substitute for salsa in many recipes!
If you’ve tried this HOMEMADE TACO SAUCE, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Homemade Taco Sauce
- 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 heaping tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- If it's too thick, you can add a teaspoon of extra water. Whisk until smooth.
- Store in an airtight mason jar in the refrigerator for up to a week.