Love a good meat and potatoes meal? This quick cooking classic hamburger steak with onions & gravy pairs perfectly with mashed potatoes for an irresistible, filling meal the whole family will love.
I’ve had Hamburger Steaks (aka Salisbury steak) before, but I’ve never really liked it. I thought I just ‘wasn’t a fan’, but then I got to thinking.
I love meatloaf. I love gravy. I should love this. Why don’t I love this?? Something was always missing for me…flavor.
On a whim, I decided to try my own hand at this classic dish. It still seemed like ‘Mission Impossible’. After my family’s first bite, we all agreed: Mission Complete!
Not only were the ‘steaks’ jam-packed with flavor, but so was the simple gravy. And where can you go wrong with caramelized onions?! They pair perfectly with the seasoned, seared ground beef patties in every single bite. Plus, they add so much flavor and depth to this simple brown gravy.
Take it from me, serve these juicy ‘steaks’ with mashed potatoes. You won’t want to waste a drop of gravy.I also suggest a hunk of crusty bread on the side for sopping up any remaining juices. It’s either that or lick the plate clean, and we try to keep it classy.
Need to add a little something healthier to this very filling meat and potatoes meal? Quick & easy, Grandma’s canned green beans are the perfect side dish in a pinch with a fool proof way to doctor up basic canned beans.
If you’ve tried this HAMBURGER STEAKS WITH ONIONS & GRAVY, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Hamburger Steaks with Onions & Gravy
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp seasoning salt divided
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp Montreal Steak seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth & 1 tbsp cooking sherry
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, and steak seasoning. Form into 8 balls, and flatten into patties.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the patties and onion in the oil until patties are nicely browned, about 4 minutes per side. Remove the beef patties to a plate, and keep warm.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions and drippings in the skillet. Stir in flour with a fork, scraping bits of beef off of the bottom as you stir. Gradually mix in the beef broth and sherry. Season with seasoned salt.
- Simmer and stir over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, until the gravy thickens. Turn heat to low, return patties to the gravy, cover, and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve the patties on plates with gravy and onions spooned over top. Enjoy!