Three cheese potatoes are the creamy, cheesy, bacony side dish you need on your plate and in your life! Cooked in a foil packet, these are perfect as a side any night you grill or as an easy camping recipe.
I originally discovered these grilled three cheese potatoes in a Taste of Home list of easy grill meals.
After briefly scanning the ingredients and directions, I knew I had to try it, and it was love at first bite.
Full of carby, cheesy goodness, what could be yummier?
And not only are they delicious, but they are equally easy to prepare and cook! We love having them any evening we grill out or as a side when we go camping.
Plus, the recipe easily doubles so you can feed just your family or have enough to feed a larger crowd.
One bite and you’ll see why you can’t go wrong with these cheesy potatoes!
To make this you’ll need:
- Potatoes– Russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes.
- Onion– Any kind, chopped.
- Cheese– Grated Parmesan cheese, shredded mozzarella and shredded cheddar give this dish so much flavor.
- Bacon– Crumbled, cooked bacon. You could also use cooked, diced ham if you prefer or even mix it up and use both!
- Butter– For some extra creaminess.
- Seasoning– Seasoned or plain salt, pepper and minced chives.
How to Make
Making this side dish is so easy!
To do it, add the peeled and diced potatoes, chopped onion, Parmesan cheese, chives, salt and pepper to a large bowl.
Toss it all together to combine it well.
Then, pour the potato mixture into a double thickness of greased, heavy-duty aluminum foil folded to makes an 18 inch square.
Dot the top with small pieces of butter before you fold the foil around the potato mixture. Make sure to seal it tightly.
Then, grill, covered, over medium heat for 15-18 minutes on each side or until potatoes are tender.
Very carefully open the foil packet, avoiding the escaping steam, and sprinkle the bacon and remaining cheeses over the potato mixture.
Reseal and grill for 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Carefully open and let all steam escape.
Serve and enjoy!
This recipe is so good as is, but you can definitely put your own spin on it!
Some of my favorite variations include:
- subbing extra cheddar cheese for the mozzarella and added a diced jalapeno to potatoes
- adding a blend of southwestern spices like chili powder and cumin
- throwing in some sliced bell peppers or broccoli to up the veggie factor
Really, the sky’s the limit! Feel free to get creative and use it as a base!
Can This Be Made With Sweet Potatoes?
I know more and more often people are looking for healthier alternatives to carb loaded white potatoes.
Sweet potatoes are a great alternative, and absolutely can be substituted in this recipe.
Sweet potatoes can take a bit longer to grill though, so we like to boil ours for 2 minutes then drain them and allow them to cool completely before using them in this recipe.
No, they won’t get mushy. Just be careful not to overboil them, and let them drain, dry, and cool before including them in the recipe as written for potatoes.
Tips and Tricks
- Want to save yourself a little work and add some extra fiber to this dish? You can skip peeling the potatoes. Just make sure to wash them well and remove any nubs.
- Top this dish with a dollop of sour cream to really up the creaminess factor.
- Be very careful when you open the foil packet. The steam can scald you.
Other Foil Packet Recipes
This three cheese potatoes packet makes a mouthwatering grilled side dish you’ll love anytime. Put it on your menu the next time you barbecue or camp!
Looking for other foil packet recipes? Try these:
- Grilled Chicken Fajita Foil Packets
- Apple & Pork Campfire Packets
- Low Country Boil Foil Packets
- Hobo Hamburger Packets
If you’ve tried these THREE CHEESE POTATOES or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Grilled Three-Cheese Potatoes
- 3 large russet potatoes scrubbed, peeled, and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp chives minced
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt or plain salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cooked crumbled bacon, or 1/2 cup cooked, diced ham
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
- Transfer contents to a double thickness of greased, heavy-duty aluminum foil (about 18 inches square).
- Dot with butter.
- Fold foil around potato mixture and seal tightly.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 15-18 minutes on each side or until potatoes are tender.
- Carefully (very carefully because the escaping steam can burn you) open the foil packet.
- Sprinkle the bacon, or ham, and cheeses over the potato mixture.
- Reseal and grill for 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Carefully open and let all steam escape.
originally published June 7, 2013
Leave a Comment