I originally discovered these grilled three cheese potatoes in a Taste of Home list of easy grill meals.
After briefly scanning the ingredients and directions, I knew I had to try it, and it was love at first bite.
Creamy, cheesy, bacon-y…what better elements to build a mouth-watering side-dish for any meal?
These potatoes are delicious, and equally easy to prepare and cook. We love having them any evening we grill out.
They’re great for just our family’s dinner, or I can easily double the recipe, making a second batch, to feed a larger crowd. I’ve also found that these make a great, easy side-dish for camping meals.
Even better, use this recipe as a guideline and get creative in your kitchen, or backyard.
These potatoes have plenty of potential possibilities. Try adding broccoli. We also make, and love, a sweet potato version based off of this recipe.
Whether you decide to stick to the original, or spice your potato packet up a little, you can’t go wrong with these cheese potatoes.
- 3 large russet potatoes scrubbed, peeled, and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp chives minced
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt or plain salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cooked crumbled bacon, or 1/2 cup cooked, diced ham
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
- Transfer contents to a double thickness of greased, heavy-duty aluminum foil (about 18 inches square).
- Dot with butter.
- Fold foil around potato mixture and seal tightly.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 15-18 minutes on each side or until potatoes are tender.
- Carefully (very carefully because the escaping steam can burn you) open the foil packet.
- Sprinkle the bacon, or ham, and cheeses over the potato mixture.
- Reseal and grill for 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Carefully open and let all steam escape.