Hobo hamburger packets are a delicious, mess free way to cook a ground beef dinner. These are the perfect dinner anytime whether you bake them in the oven or cook the packets on the grill or over the campfire!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
I am all about easy dinners with little cleanup needed.
And I’ll tell you a secret.
The way to make almost any dinner with less mess is cook it in a foil packet.
This method locks in the flavors of the ingredients, creates juicy meat and perfectly cooked veggies without dirtying a bunch of different pots and pans.
Plus, it gives you tons of cooking options.
You can cook them in the oven as directed here or even throw the packets on to the grill or make them as a camping meal.
To make this easy dinner you’ll need:
- Ground beef– Go for lean ground beef in this recipe. Because you cook it in sealed packets, the fat from the beef will sit in the packets. With a fattier ground beef, this could create an unappealing greasy situation.
- Cracker crumbs– I recommend using Ritz crackers but you could use other crackers if you prefer.
- Large egg– Beat it well.
- Lemon juice– Either fresh or bottled.
- Seasoning– Both Worcestershire sauce and Montreal steak seasoning give the mixture tons of flavor.
- Cheddar cheese– Finely shredded.
- Veggies– Diced green bell pepper, thinly sliced potatoes and onion, and carrots cut into thin strips.
- Bacon– Any kind you like. Make sure to cut the strips in half.
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
How to Make
Making these burger packets is so easy!
To do it, start by adding the beef, crackers, egg, lemon juice, Worcestershire, steak seasoning, cheese, and peppers to a large mixing bowl.
Then mix it together until the meat mixture’s evenly combined.
Layer two large pieces of foil on a clean countertop.
Be sure to use enough to cover, close, and seal a burger sized pocket.
Then, divide the meat mixture into roughly four even balls.
Press on ball out between your hands to flatten it into a large patty.
Now, add 1/4 of the sliced onion to the center of the foil sheet, spreading it out slightly.
Place the hamburger patty on top of the onion.
Spread 1/4 of the carrot sticks over half of the burger patty and 1/4 of the potato slices over the other half.
Finish stuffing the packets by topping with two slices of bacon, and seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Wrap up the burger and veggies in the packet. Make sure to seal the foil tightly.
When it’s sealed, transfer it to a waiting baking sheet, placing the packet seam side down. Set the packet down seam side up.
Repeat with the remaining three hamburger patties.
Bake them in the oven at 350° for 45 minutes or cook on the grill or over a campfire until the meat is cooked through and the veggies are tender.
Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven, and let the packets rest for a full 5 minutes before carefully opening them using tongs.
Serve with your favorite condiments and enjoy!
If you have any leftovers, you can wrap them up tightly in the same packets you served them in and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the oven until warmed through.
Tips and Tricks
- Be sure to open the foil packets very carefully. There will be steam built up inside of the packets and it can scald you if you aren’t careful.
- You can assemble the packets ahead of time and just take them out when it’s time to cook.
- Feel free to vary your cheese selection based on your taste.
Other Foil Packet Meals You’ll Love
Hobo hamburger packets are perfect whenever you want an easy clean up or if you are looking for an easy camping meal.
Make them this week and enjoy!
Looking for other foil packet meals?
- Low Country Boil Foil Packets
- Grilled or Baked Onion Bombs
- Grilled Garlic Butter Steak & Potato Foil Packets
If you’ve tried these HOBO HAMBURGER PACKETS, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Hobo Hamburger Packets
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup ritz cracker crumbs
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 2 russet potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet onion thinly sliced
- 4 carrots peeled & cut into thin strips
- 4 slices bacon cut in half
- s & p to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, add the beef, crackers, egg, lemon juice, Worcestershire, steak seasoning, cheese, & peppers. Mix together until the meat mixture's evenly combined.
- Layer two large pieces of foil on a clean countertop- enough to cover, close, and seal a burger sized pocket/packet.
- Divide the meat mixture into roughly four even balls. Press on ball out between your hands to flatten it into a large patty.
- Add 1/4 of the sliced onion to the center of the foil sheet, spreading out slightly. Set the hamburger patty on top of the onion.
- Spread 1/4 of the carrot sticks over half of the burger patty & 1/4 of the potato slices over the other half.
- Top with two slices of bacon, and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Wrap up & seal the packet tightly, then transfer it to a waiting baking sheet. Set the packet down seam side up.
- Repeat with the remaining three hamburger patties.
- Bake them in the oven at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven, and let them packets rest for a full 5 minutes before very, very carefully opening them using tongs. There will be pent up steam, and it can easily burn when it escapes if precautions aren't taken.
- Serve with your favorite condiments and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details. As always, all opinions are my own.
Leave a Comment