Fluffy cottage cheese pancakes are a delicious breakfast or brunch option. Light and fluffy, this recipe will have you making it over and over whenever you want a protein packed way to start your day!
Are you tired of box mix or buttermilk pancake recipes?
These cottage cheese pancakes are anything but ordinary!
My boys often request these pancakes over other pancakes because they love the unique fluffy texture and flavor from the cottage cheese.
And the added protein makes these pancakes even more filling than buttermilk or other varieties so they stay fuller longer, which is a major mom win that I’ll gladly take!
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- Flour – You can use all purpose flour for this.
- Baking soda – Baking soda gives these pancake’s their fluff. Don’t substitute with baking powder, it won’t work as well.
- Salt– Cuts the sweetness.
- Sugar – You’ll need regular, white granulated sugar to give these pancakes a slight sweetness.
- Small curd cottage cheese – I use regular, full fat versions. You can pick your favorite brand, but I recommend not using reduced fat versions. If you want large sections of melted cheese in the pancakes, you can use large curd cottage cheese instead.
- Milk – Whole or 2% milk work best for this recipe.
- Canola oil – In a pinch, vegetable oil or another light oil can work.
How to make
Making this is very similar to making other varieties of pancakes.
First, add the flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar to a large mixing bowl.
Whisk the dry ingredients until evenly combined.
In another mixing bowl, add the eggs, cheese, milk, and oil.
Then, whisk the wet ingredients until they are combined.
When both sets of ingredients are ready, add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet and gently whisk together until everything is evenly combined.
There will be some lumps in the batter and that’s ok.
Once the batter is ready, heat a large skillet or griddle pan over medium heat.
As it heats, spray non stick cooking spray to coat. If you prefer, you can rub some butter over the surface.
When the pan is hot, add a 1/4 cup of batter to the skillet and cook the pancake for roughly 2 minutes.
After about 2 minutes, flip and cook for an additional 2 to 2 1/2 minutes or until both sides are golden brown.
Transfer the pancake to a waiting plate or place in a warm oven to keep them warm while you cook the rest.
Work in batches of 2 pancakes or more if you are using a double burner griddle pan.
Continue until all the batter’s used up.
Serve the pancakes in stacks or more with your favorite toppings.
Storing and serving
You should serve the pancakes fresh from the skillet for best results.
Some of our favorite toppings include syrup, whipped cream, honey, fresh fruit and powdered sugar.
If you can’t eat them all or want to save some for later, you definitely can.
They should store in an air tight container in the fridge for about 3 to 5 days.
You can also freeze them for up to 6 months in a freezer safe bag.
When you reheat them, you can gently warm them in the oven or toaster oven set to 300 degrees until they are warmed through.
You could also use a skillet on low heat, flipping to ensure even heating.
Tips and tricks
- The pancakes will just start to bubble when they are ready to flip. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Lumps in the batter are part of what gives the pancakes their fluff. You don’t need to remove them all. If you do, you may have flatter pancakes.
- Don’t overheat the skillet, if it is too hot, the pancakes will burn.
- Leave some room for the pancakes. In a medium skillet, about 2 per batch is good.
Other pancake recipes you may love
My family loves these fluffy cottage cheese pancakes.
They are the perfect Saturday morning breakfast you can make this weekend to feed your hungry brood!
Want other pancake ideas?
Check these other favorites out.
- Sausage Egg & Cheese Pancake Sandwiches
- Mixed Berry Cast Iron Pancakes
- Sausage & Pancake Casserole
- Sweet Sausage & Pancake Muffins
If you’ve tried these FLUFFY COTTAGE CHEESE PANCAKES or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Fluffy Cottage Cheese Pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, sugar) to a large mixing bowl, and whisk together until evenly combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the wet ingredients (eggs, cheese, milk, oil) and whisk until evenly combined.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet, and gently whisk together until everything's evenly combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and spray non stick cooking spray to coat.
- Once the pan's hot, add 1/4 cup of batter to the pan. Cook the pancake for roughly 2 minutes, and then flip and cook an additional 2-21/2 minutes, or until both sides are golden brown and the cake's cooked through. Transfer the pancake to a waiting plate.
- Don't crowd the pan, so work in batches of 2 pancakes. Continue until all the batter's used.
- Serve the pancakes in stacks of 2, 3, or 4 with your desired toppings.