This Dalgona coffee cocktail is the adult version of the Tik Tok whipped coffee craze that you need in your life. This fluffy whipped coffee recipe is infused with Bailey’s and Kahlua. Just the pick me up we need right now!
Are you on TikTok? I’m not (yet!) but I know all about Dalgona coffee.
You know, the cloud coffee that is literally all over the internet.
I had to try some for myself, and to share with you all since I love coffee so much.
And I had to put alcohol in it. Because if this quarantine doesn’t call for coffee and alcohol, I don’t know what does!
What is Dalgona Coffee?
It comes from the Middle East/Eastern Europe. There’s it’s often called whipped or beaten coffee.
Recently though it’s exploded all over social media. Why the sudden popularity? Because it’s nothing new for many cultures.
A Korean actor on a Korean tv show recently tried the beverage in the province of Macau.
It was new to him, and he nicknamed it Dalgona- after it’s resemblance to a popular Korean sponge candy of the same name.
From there, it took off on social media around the globe.
Dalgona coffee is equal parts instant coffee, sugar, and boiling water that you whip to make light and fluffy.
You then spoon the whole fluffy coffee mixture onto milk.
Sometimes you’ll see it called whipped coffee, cloud coffee or frappe coffee.
No matter what you call it, the end result is coffee that’s mousse-like in texture.
And when you stir it into your milk, you get a whipped coffee that’s similar in texture to a Starbucks frappuccino right at home.
How to Make a Dalgona Coffee Cocktail
Let’s break this down into two parts: making the Dalgona coffee and then putting it together into a cocktail.
To start, let’s make the whipped coffee.
To do this, put the instant coffee, sugar, and boiling water into a medium bowl.
Beat the mixture with a hand mixer on high until it is light and fluffy. It’ll take about 5 minutes or so for this to happen.
Now that you’ve got the whipped coffee made, we can assemble our Dalgona coffee cocktails.
To put the cocktails together, add ice to 2 mugs and full the cups about 3/4 of the way with milk.
Then you can stir in a tablespoon each of Kahlua and Bailey’s.
Top each cup with half of the whipped coffee. Then enjoy!
Whipped Coffee Tips and Tricks
- Save your arms! Use an electric mixer if you can to whip your coffee until it’s fluffy. It will take longer and be quite an arm workout if you do it by hand.
- Do not substitute ground coffee beans for instant coffee. It won’t work. The drying process instant coffee undergoes makes it possible to whip up into the cloud-like consistency.
- Want to make a big batch at once? Double or triple the recipe and store the whipped coffee you aren’t using and store it covered in the fridge for up to a week.
- Don’t want a cocktail? Totally fine. Just omit the liquor.
Other Coffee Drinks You Might Enjoy
This Dalgona coffee is one internet trend I’m glad I tried! Jump on the bandwagon and make these Dalgona coffee cocktails this weekend!
Looking for another mixed coffee drink you can make at home? These are some of my favorites:
If you’ve tried this DALGONA COFFEE COCKTAIL, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Dalgona Coffee Cocktail
- 2 Tablespoons Instant Coffee
- 2 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons boiling water
- 2 cups milk of choice
- 2 Tablespoons Kahlua liquor
- 2 Tablespoons Bailey’s Irish Cream
- In a medium bowl combine the instant coffee, sugar, and boiling water and use a hand mixer to mix on high speed for about 4-5 minutes or until the mixture has become light in color and fluffy.
- Add ice to two coffee mugs and fill the cups about ¾ full with milk of choice. Add in 1 Tablespoon of Bailey’s and Kahlua to each mug and stir well.
- Top each cup with half of the whipped coffee and stir well.