This convenient, creamy Crockpot Chicken And Pesto Soup features fresh veggies, chunks of juicy chicken, chewy barley, pesto, and Parmesan in a dish that leaves you savoring each and every bite.
I’ve mentioned my affinity for soups before, but have I ever mentioned my bond with my crockpot? Some days it’s my lifeline.
Summer and I have a love/hate relationship. I hate being hot, but I love to cook. I hate that using the oven, even the stove top in summer and spring, makes my kitchen feel like a sauna. I can’t stand to be hot while cooking. In the summer, the crockpot and I are best friends. I’m talking bosom buds. It helps me feed my family the lovingly prepared, delectable food we all like, without me sweating up a storm as I slave away.
Did I mention I’m also to cheap to turn up my air conditioner just because I’m hot in the kitchen? No, I don’t think I did. But, I am. This soup recipe is a winner. It’s also a must when I’m craving soup in the summer. Same great taste, but noticeably less heat.
When I first tried it, I honestly couldn’t believe I’d never seen something like it in an Italian restaurant somewhere before. Then again, without this recipe, I don’t think it would have occurred to me to try pesto in a soup. Lesson learned.
Dump the ingredients into your crockpot in the morning, have dinner waiting on you at the end of the day, and cozy up to a big ol’ bowl of this Crockpot Chicken And Pesto Soup.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 carrots, shredded and finely diced
- 2-3 ribs of celery, finely diced
- 1 tbsp dried, chopped onion
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 heaping tbsp minced garlic
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thawed or frozen
- 1/2 cup pearl barley (not quick cooking)
- 1 1/2 cups milk, room temperature (you can sub half/half or even cream for a richer soup)
- 1/4 cup of shreddedparmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1/2 of a zucchini, shredded
- To the bowl of a crockpot, add in the broth, carrot, celery, onion, oregano, garlic, and zucchini-- give it all a good stir.
- Add in the chicken breasts.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and the barley is soft and chewy.
- Remove chicken to a plate, and use two forks to shred or a knife and fork to dice it up.
- Put the shredded, or diced, chicken back into the crockpot.
- Stir in the milk, Parmesan, and pesto.
- Turn the heat up to high, and continue cooking for another ten minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with additional Parmesan and/or pesto, as desired.
Pictures updated 2/9/2017