Finding a saucy pasta dinner the whole family agrees on can be hard to find in one dish, but this Creamy Tortellini with Spinach & Tomatoes really delivers. Cheese tortellini are smothered in a delicious garlic cream sauce that’s speckled with tomatoes & spinach. It’s a quick & easy dinner that’s picky eater approved, even with the obvious addition of veggies!
So in my head I had this pegged for a meatless Monday meal post, buuuuut Monday was Memorial Day, and you totally know how it is when all those cookout invites from family & friends get in the way of reason and productivity.
Tortellini Tuesday? Totally a thing (at least for today).
You can use fresh, frozen, or dried tortellini in this recipe. I am not even gonna lie though, frozen tortellini is one of my favorite things to keep stocked in the freezer. It’s so easy to grab the bag and go, digging into a recipe.
You can’t beat the cooking time- it’s even quicker than plain old pasta. You also can’t beat the possibilities. Seriously, a quick search on the site will show you just how many different recipes we’ve incorporated it into. And that’s just what we’ve done so far.
Also, it’s full of cheese. Cheese. When has anyone ever complained about eating cheese? Not any of my kids, at least- and as a busy parent that’s a big deal.
Another thing my children (miraculously) don’t complain about eating? Spinach. Yep, you read that right. It’s a completely bizarre phenomenon to both me and my husband, but it’s true.
Now granted, I don’t serve it to them by itself and never, ever the stuff from the can. That’s just nasty, and don’t get my started on the borderline PTSD I suffer from a particularly long stand off/battle of the wills with my own mother over it when I was a little bitty thing.
Really though, instead of pureeing veggies and ‘hiding’ them in saucy dishes, I just throw them right on in. I do try to make sure they’re particularly yummy and flavorful though. It’s led to very few complaints over the years. Thankfully. I highly suggest trying it. You’d be surprised how well the strategy works.
This delicious, saucy Creamy Tortellini with Spinach & Tomatoes is a great way to get your family to willingly eat, and enjoy, several things they otherwise might not. Very few recipes entice my guys to do anything other than run away from tomatoes, yet they come runnin’ to the supper table for this one.
For such a loved meal, this one is equally easy. Cook your tortellini according to the package directions, Drain, and set aside for a bit. Then everything comes together in a single pot. Easy to fix, and even easier clean up.
Isn’t that everybody’s ideal recipe?
So, let’s dig in!
This Creamy Tortellini with Spinach & Tomatoes recipe has a medium sized ingredient list, but not too long. Also, it does use things we almost always have on hand which makes it a great go-to on busy nights.
From start to finish, in less than 20 minutes, you can have a healthy, hot meal on the table that the whole family will love. How often does that happen?!
If You Liked This Recipe, You Might Also Like These Similar Recipes:
- Spicy Italian Sausage Tortellini Alfredo
- Creamed Spinach Tortellini with Seasoned Shrimp
- Italian Alfredo Tortellini with Ham
- Mediterranean Tortellini Salad
If you’ve tried this CREAMY TORTELLINI WITH SPINACH & TOMATOES, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Creamy Tortellini with Spinach & Tomatoes
- 1 lb cheese tortellini
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Begin by boiling your tortellini noodles until they are al dente (aka ready). Follow the directions on the package for boiling time.
- While the tortellini is boiling, roughly chop the spinach.
- Heat a large skillet using medium heat and put the two minced garlic into it. Saute it briefly until fragrant, about thirty seconds or so.
- Add into the skillet the petite diced tomatoes (undrained), spinach, salt, pepper, dried basil, and onion flakes.
- Cook and stir over medium high heat until the mixture begins to bubble.
- In another bowl, combine the flour and half-and-half. Whisk until fairly smooth.
- Add the creamy mixture into the the skillet along with the Parmesan cheese.
- Heat through and reduce the heat to medium low and continue to stir and cook until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Add the drained tortellini and mix together gently.
- Serve and enjoy!
Originally posted on May 27, 2014, this post was completely redone on August 20, 2018.