This soup is everything you could hope for in a meal on a cold Winter’s night. It’s creamy. It’s comforting. AND it saves you money. How does it save you money you might be asking? Because it’s so good (and filling) that there won’t be any reason for you to run out to a certain ‘bread cafe’ to get a bowl full.
I first had this particular soup at that oh-so popular bakery/restaurant. You know, the one that starts with a ‘Pan’ and ends with an ‘era’? That’s the one. And it was love at first bowl. It even knocked Broccoli & Cheddar down on the totem pole, and I would’ve never thought that possible. It was just so good. It was packed with veggies, and the broth was thick and creamy with the perfect texture from the rice that I’d just never gotten from pasta in any of the chicken noodle style soups I’d had before. Luckily for me, the hubs agreed! And there may or may not have been a two week period where we went back for lunch (ahem) several times for another bowl of the good stuff. But, I couldn’t just keep shelling out money for ‘the good stuff’. I mean we have responsibilities. Bills to pay! I had to be a grown up. Meh.
And that’s how this here beauty was born. Necessity is the mother of invention after all. And it doesn’t disappoint. It’s just as good, even a little friendlier to your waist-line (amen!), and A LOT friendlier to your budget.
This is amazing on the first day. One the second day? It’s somehow even more flavorful and a little thicker. It’s like magic. That really good kind of refrigerator leftover magic. A quick repeat and you’re back in business again.
Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- 2-3 chicken breasts cooked and cubed, or shredded
- 2 6 oz boxes of Long Grain and Wild Rice mix
- 2 14.5 oz cans of chicken broth
- 4 cups milk regular or evaporated
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tbs cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning optional
- 2-3 carrots thinly sliced
- 2-3 celery stalks thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the rice according to the directions on the box.
- In a large pot, melt butter. Add in the chopped carrots and celery and pepper to taste, and sauté for about 10 minutes, or until the veggies are tender. Add in the flour, cornstarch and poultry seasoning (optional), and whisk together quickly.
- Add in the chicken broth and milk, whisking constantly as you pour. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often.
- When the rice is finished, add both the cooked chicken and rice to the soup.
- Give everything a good stir, allow to heat through, and enjoy!