Creamy chicken gnocchi soup is the easiest cozy soup you can make. Just as easy to customize as it is to make, this soup recipe is the perfect soup for when you’re short on time or trying to put together a meal using what you’ve got on hand. Make some of this delicious soup the next time you find yourself short on time but wanting a cozy, comforting meal your whole family will love.
The post holiday slump has settled in. We’re definitely back to rushing and around and around.
And while, yes, it’s scaled down now that it’s not the holiday season, we’re not running around festively anymore. The weather is crummy and cold.
So I just need all the warm, comforting soup. And it’s preferable that it doesn’t take that long for me to make the soup.
This creamy chicken gnocchi soup fits the bill!
It’s the ultimate in cozy, comforting soup and it is so quick and easy to make that you can be enjoying homemade soup in under half an hour! Not bad!
The Easiest Chicken Gnocchi Soup Ever!
Aside from the indulgent creaminess and all the flavor in this amazing chicken soup, I love that this gnocchi soup recipe is so unbelievably easy to make. I’m using lots of shortcuts here for maximum soup flavor with minimum effort.
To make this creamy chicken gnocchi soup, you don’t even have to cook your chicken first! I’m using shredded rotisserie chicken from the grocery store for ultimate convenience.
You could also use any leftover roast chicken or baked chicken breast you have on hand and chop that up for this soup.
When you put your soup together, start by combining a jar of your favorite alfredo sauce with chicken stock, water, the shredded chicken, and seasoning. Turn the heat up to medium high and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
Once the soup starts to simmer, add the gnocchi and spinach to the pot. Now you can turn the heat down and let the soup simmer until the gnocchi is done.
It only takes 5-8 minutes! That’s it.
Finish your soup by ladling it into bowls and topping it with a generous spoonful of basil pesto and freshly shredded Parmesan cheese.
Customize your Soup- A Kitchen Sink Recipe!
There are so many ways you can customize this creamy chicken gnocchi soup so if you don’t have the exact ingredients or if you have other ingredients on hand you want to use up, you’re golden.
For example, I often clean out my veggie drawer in my fridge when I make this gnocchi soup and use kale in place of spinach.
Sometimes I add sliced mushrooms, cauliflower, or even broccoli. All are absolutely delicious in this soup.
Don’t have chicken but have some frozen meatballs or Italian sausage? Both make excellent substitutes for chicken. And, honestly, I’ve also used bacon in this soup instead of any of those meats and it was equally amazing.
If you’re a vegetarian, you can make it work too. Skip the chicken broth and chicken all together and either sub out veggie broth or use half and half for extra richness.
Amazing, and no one will ever miss the meat. The end result will still be super satisfying & oh so filling.
Tips and Tricks for Making the Best Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
This soup recipe is the perfect soup for kitchen beginners. Here are some tips and tricks to make sure your soup turns out deliciously every time:
- Use your favorite alfredo sauce for ultimate flavor.
- Feeding a crowd? Feel free to double or even triple this recipe.
- Either frozen or dry gnocchi will work in this soup. You can find the frozen kind near the frozen ravioli and the dry gnocchi in the pasta aisle.
- Don’t overcook your gnocchi. You’ll know it’s done as soon as the gnocchi floats.
- Looking to really up the flavor? Use all chicken broth instead of mixing the chicken broth with water.
- Want a little spice? A pinch of red pepper will do the trick!
As written this soup makes a small batch, like mentioned above, which is perfect for a small supper- the recipe easily doubles or triples though to feed a larger crowd.
I also like to serve this soup with a crusty bread for dipping and sopping, and if I really want to make it a fuller meal- then a simple side salad pairs perfectly for the family.
Looking for other easy cozy soup recipes? Try these!
This creamy chicken gnocchi soup is one of my family’s favorite recipes in the winter time. Make a pot today and find out why!
Looking for other soup recipes? Here are a few of my favorites:
- Crockpot Chicken Parmesan Soup
- Mac & Cheese Soup
- Chicken Florentine Soup
- Tomato Bisque with Cheddar Bay Dumplings
If you’ve tried this CREAMY CHICKEN GNOCCHI PESTO SOUP, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Pesto Soup
- 1 15 oz jar alfredo sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 16 oz pkg potato gnocchi
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach coarsely chopped
- 4 tsp basil pesto sauce
- To a large pot add the sauce, broth, water, chicken, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Stir everything together to combine, and season the mixture with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Turn the heat on to medium high, and bring the mixture to a boil- stirring occasionally.
- Add the gnocchi and spinach to the pot, stirring to combine.
- Turn the heat down to medium low, and let the soup simmer until the gnocchi are cooked- about 5-8 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each one with a teaspoon of pesto just before serving.