Meatless meals are all the rage these days, and pasta based recipes are a great option. Good seasonings and a simple cream sauce are the key to making this delectable creamy Cajun egg noodles. It’s filling and flavorful- give it a try and you may be surprised that you don’t even miss the meat!
Meatless meals often get a bad wrap.
Just because they aren’t packed with protein doesn’t make them automatically less filling meals- especially when you’re talking about pasta.
Pasta is dense and settles heavy, meaning a little bit can go a long way towards satisfying a whole family.
It doesn’t always have to be paired with a signature red or white sauce either, or butter. There’s a whole wide world out there and a wide array of easy options to whip up at home.
A simple cream sauce & a few select seasonings go a long way in this easy creamy Cajun egg noodle dinner.
This is a filling vegetarian meal just bursting with low country flavor that’s guaranteed to be a success when served for supper.
How To Make A Pot Of Creamy Egg Noodles
First, you start by cooking the egg noodles. The whole bag of noodles. The big floppy bag often found on the bottom shelf of the pasta section in your grocery store.
We used the wide version in this recipe, but any ‘size’ egg noodle will work. Just use the dried kind. We have not tested this recipe with anythinf fresher, whether they’re homemade or the frozen variety.
Once the noodles are cooked, strain them, and while still in the strainer run them under cold water. Toss them until they’re cool to the touch. This will prevent them from sticking while you prepare the sauce.
To make the cream sauce, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add finely diced, almost minced, onions to the hot butter. Sprinkle them with garlic powder, and saute them (stirring often) until the onions are soft. Do not let them cook until caramelized.
Pour chicken broth into the skillet, and use a sturdy wooden spoon or spatula to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Basically, scrape up any stuck on browned bits. These aren’t burnt, but they are essential flavor nuggets!
Let the mixture simmer for a minute or two, just to let the flavors meld but not so that you cook off too much liquid.
Slowly pour the cream and half & half into the skillet. I like to add both to a large measuring glass that way I get an even pour, but this isn’t essential. Whisk the cream in as you pour.
Once smooth, whisk in the Cajun seasoning, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Raise the heat to bring the sauce to a rolling boil, and then quickly reduce the heat back down to medium low. Add the cheese, stirring just until smooth.
Let the sauce simmer for roughly ten minutes, or just until thickened. This isn’t an exact time, like with baking. Watch your sauce carefully, and stir it often so it doesn’t burn. When it’s thick enough to coat the back of a spoon- it’s done.
Remove the sauce from heat, and stir in the noodles.
If your skillet is large enough, you can do it in one dish. I love this option because more dishes are never convenient for me. However, if your skillet isn’t big enough add both the noodles and the sauce to a large bowl or pot, gently tossing until everything’s evenly coated.
That’s it, your creamy Cajun egg noodles are ready to be served & savored. And trust me, I didn’t know pasta could be ‘finger lickin’ good’- but these absolutely are!
Making The Best Cajun Egg Noodles- A Couple Quick Notes
- Do not over cook your noodles! They will be mushy and won’t hold up well with the hot sauce. Nobody likes mushy pasta.
- If you don’t want to run your noodles under cold water, you can add a teaspoon or two of olive oil and toss them to coat. This will also prevent sticking.
- Don’t have Cajun seasoning? Creole seasoning is very similar and makes a perfect substitute.
- Cooked chicken, shrimp, and steak all make great additions if you prefer some meat with your pasta. But I assure you- these creamy Cajun egg noodles are a stand alone meal all on their own.
Other Simple Pasta Recipes To Stretch Your Stock:
These creamy seasoned egg noodles are one of our go to recipes when we want something meatless, but still 100% delicious. Check out these other meatless pasta meal ideas for some more inspiration!
If you’ve tried these CREAMY CAJUN EGG NOODLES, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Creamy Cajun Egg Noodles
- 1 lb egg noodles cooked & drained
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1 small white onion finely diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 1/2- 3 1/2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Run the cooked noodles under cold water & stir them to prevent them from sticking while you make the sauce.
- In a large skillet over medium low heat, melt the butter. Once melted add in the onions. Sprinkle them with the garlic powder, and then stir them to combine.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft.
- Pour in the broth, and using a sturdy spoon scrape the bottom of the skillet to get up any of the delicious browned bits. Let the mixture simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly pour the cream and half & half into the pan, stirring in as you do. Once smooth add the Cajun seasoning, lemon juice, salt & pepper- stirring to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low. Stir in the cheese until melted & the mixture's smooth.
- Let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remember to stir often.
- Add the noodles to the skillet (assuming there's room, otherwise use a large pot), and gently toss them with the sauce until everything's good and coated.