A quick & easy pasta dinner, don’t shy away at this seemingly odd combination of pasta & peanut butter. These loosely Asian Peanut Butter ‘Lo Mein’ Noodles are a fun food you can serve for lunch or supper, that’ll have the approval of both the kids and the adults.
The sons go crazy for these easy peanut butter noodles.
The first time I made them they looked at the ingredients I was pulling out with total confusion. I think I detected a hint of fear.
Sons # 2 kept repeating orange juice & peanut butter? Orange juice & peanut butter?! Like I was some sort of professional recipe butcher-er.
Ye sons of little faith…
One bite and his little peanut butter loving eyes lit up with joy! My reaction? A totally
juvenille normal , ‘ha ha I told you so!!’ moment. (Everybody has those, right?)
Short on time? Looking for an alternative type of lunch? Trying to appeal to your pickier little foodies? These do the trick.
Have a larger family? Feeding a crowd? Making for dinner rather than lunch? No worries. The recipe easily doubles to accommodate your needs.
Cooked pasta is tossed in a creamy Asian style peanut butter sauce, for a fun & yummy new take on traditional lo mein noodles. Serve it with some steamed broccoli & t’s a quick & easy meal the whole family will enjoy.
Peanut Butter 'Lo Mein' Noodles
- ½ lb of dry fettuccine or linguine noodles
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup crunchy peanut butter natural
- 2½ tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs white vinegar
- 2 tbs brown sugar either light or dark is fine
- ½ tsp hot chili sauce more if you want it spicy
- squeeze a wedge or two of lime juice into sauce
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ cup sweet onions sliced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- Put on pot of boiling water for pasta. Cook the fettuccine to al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, whisk together orange juice, peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, chili sauce and lime if you are using it.
- Heat oil in skillet over med-high, once hot add the onion and garlic. Stir fry, until onion is cooked, but still has a little firmness, not mushy, then add the noodles and stir fry for 2 minutes,
- Pour the sauce over noodles, and stir to coat, continue folding and mixing the pasta over heat for about a minute.
- Serve with a splash of soy, Ponzu sauce, or wedges of lime.
Pictures Updated 11/20/17