Do you love chocolate? Did you love chocolate shakes as a kid, especially in the Summer? Get back in touch with that sweet side with a slice of this Chocolate Malted Milkshake Cake.
This post and recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
When the older sons’ were little I always purchased specially decorated cakes from the bakery for the birthday’s. They were affordable, and we always picked some theme that had something to do with one of their favorite things at that age.
Be it super heroes, sports, even a new movie they were obsessed with. It wasn’t overly expensive. And it was fun doing it with together.
Then the youngest son was born. Two weeks before his older brothers’ birthdays. Again I went our standard route of a cake ordered from the local bakery. That year, it was Despicable Me theme’d.
Don’t ask me how I’m able to remember each birthday cake and theme from over the years, but it’s a special talent I have.
So newborn, almost two week old baby– no matter what, that year an ordered cake was a given. The party was great and went off without a hitch.
Then came the news when our youngest son was 1 1/2 months old that my grandmother was deathly ill.
I’d gone by her house while the older kids were in school, as I normally did and by the state of her house, I knew something was wrong.
That was only confirmed as I first called my Mom, and then frantically kept calling to no answer. Mom is always available by phone.
Hours later we got the devastating news that she had terminal Stage 4 cancer and had been silently suffering for a while.
We spent every second we had with her for the remaining couple weeks of her life.
My grandma’s maiden name was Power, and my Dad always joked that my Grandma was the matriarch of a line of women all with ‘Power’ genes.
I’m proud to say she raised a family with her own iron will, strength of character, compassion, and driven women.
Something I have, and will always, strive to pass on to my own boys.
Another thing that came along with those ‘Power’ genes? A strong sense of tradition and maintaining them.
Every year, for every birthday, Grandma always made us a homemade cake– and she was a brilliant baker.
So every year since then, starting with the youngest sons’ first birthday– every son has had a homemade cake that my Mom, myself and sisters plan out with them, and no matter where we are (even if it’s only via Facetime) come together and make, all while reliving precious memories and making new ones.
With several of my boys’ birthdays just around the corner, I had to honor Grandma- and the talent I inherited from her- this #SummerDessertWeek.
Not only by sharing Son # 3’s favorite homemade cake that he’s requested 3 years running for his special day, but also in a post using several brands she swore by.
Meet the Chocolate Malted Milkshake Cake.
Several layers of moist chocolate cake with a hint of malt flavor are separated by a smooth and creamy chocolate malt frosting. Garnished and topped with malted milk balls, each slice in an homage to the chocolate malted milkshakes I love as a kid.
Thanks Grandma for introducing me to such a fun flavor in a classic milkshake. And thanks to my boys for helping us give one of Granny’s favorites a new ‘do’ for a new era.
Sponsored Products Use In This Recipe:
Land O’Lakes Salted Butter
Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar & Powdered Sugar
If you’ve tried this CHOCOLATE MALTED MILKSHAKE CAKE, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Chocolate Malted Milkshake Cake
For The Cake
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup malted milk powder
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For The Chocolate Malt Frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- malted milk balls, for garnish
To Make The Cake
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix them just until evenly combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and malt powder until completely combined.
- Mixing on medium, slowly pour in the milk mixture until evenly combined. Mix in the eggs and oil, just until the mixture's smooth.
- Mix in the sour cream and vanilla extract, just until the mixture's once again smooth.
- Grease & flour 2-3 9" cake pans, depending on your desired thickness/number of layers. Pour the cake batter evenly into the prepared pans. Pat the pans down on a flat surface to remove any air bubbles. Bake the cakes at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each comes out clean.
- Let the cakes rest in the pans for 10 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges of the pan to ensure the cake has 'released'. Flip the cakes out over wired racks and let them cool completely.
To Make The Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and cocoa powder until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream and malt powder until evenly combined.
- Pour the cream mixture into the mixer, whipping at low speed, until evenly combined.
- Gradually add in the powdered sugar, continuing to whip at low speed, until the frosting has come together and is fluffy.
To Assemble The Cake
- Spread the frosting evenly between the cake layers and on top and sides of cake. Use a long, flat spatula to smooth them out. Freeze the cake for 10 minutes and use the spatula again to smooth out any minor imperfections.
- Garnish with malted milk balls, if desired, around the bottom and top edges and in the middle.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Ice Cream Recipes:
Pies of Summer:
- Mini Blueberry Pie from Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Pie from Daily Dish Recipes
Sweet Summertime Cakes:
- Cookies & Cream Mini Bundt Cakes from Me and My Pink Mixer
- Chocolate Malted Milkshake Cake from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
- Layered Strawberry Shortcake from Southern From Scratch
No Bake Treats:
- Blueberry Cheesecake Chimichangas from Home Sweet Homestead
- Lemon Cheesecake with Lemon Curd Topping from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Caramel Heath Ricotta Cheesecake Bars from The Whimsy One
- Banana Pudding Cake from A Blender Mom
- Blueberry French Toast Shortcakes from For the Love of Food
- Apple Dumplings from Jen Around the World
- Cinnamon Sugar Blueberry Banana Bread from The Spiffy Cookie
- Blueberry Cobbler from Bowl Me Over
Welcome to the first #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. We’re so glad that you’ve joined us for this week long event of desserts and giveaways. You’re going to love what we have in store for you.
There are 25 amazing bloggers participating in this year’s event! Throughout the week we’ll be share tons of fantastic summer dessert recipes with you. With over 70 recipes being shared this week we just know that you’re going to find a new summer favorite! Plus, don’t forget that we have 6 (six) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving one winner a $100 Willimas Sonoma Gift Card OR a $100 Sur la Table! Winner of prize #1 gets to pick which gift card they would like!
Prize #2 — Rainier Fruit is giving one winner a Pie dish, Cherry Pitter, Serving Spatula, Pinch Bowls, Pie Carrier! Everything you need to make the perfect cherry or blueberry pie!
Prize #3– OXO is giving one winner an 8 Piece Glass Bake, Serve & Store Set.
OXO Glass Bakeware is made of thermal shock resistant borosilicate glass, which means it can go from freezer to oven without the need to thaw. The OXO 8 Piece Glass Bake, Serve & Store Set is the perfect partner for all of your baking adventures. The Set includes a Glass 3 Qt Baking Dish, Glass 2 Qt Baking Dish, Glass Loaf Pan, Glass Pie Plate, 1 Cup Round SNAP Container, and 2 Cup Round SNAP Container.
Prize #4 — Adam’s Extract is giving one winner a Pyrex with baking utensils and 4oz Adams Best, 1.5 oz Pure Lemon, Almond, Peppermint and Vanilla.
Prize #5 — General Mills Cereal is giving one winner 4 boxes of cereal, 2 Big G Cereal character bowls, 2 Big G Cereal character , 2 “Good Morning” spoons, 2 Cheerios tumblers with straws 1 long-sleeve Cereal Character hooded t-shirt, 1 short-sleeve Cereal Character t-shirt.
Prize #6 — Land O’Lakes is giving one winner a branded insulated tote with a stainless steel water bottle, two mugs with cocoa mix, a dish towel and coasters.
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older.. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 24th until July 30th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterwards and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 6 (six) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 6 (six) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Rainier Fruit, OXO, Adam’s Extract, Land O’Lakes and General Mills Cereal! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.