Do you love the taste of Pierogis, Those Eastern European dumplings stuffed with cream mashed potato goodness, but dread the amount of work involved with making the dough, stuffing, and sealing them by hand? Then this here’s the thing for you. Pierogi LASAGNA. Now it’s true you could go to the frozen food aisle and just buy a bag (and I will, in a pinch) but they can’t ever compete flavor wise with the real thing. Or even with our more modernized version.
Pasta, potatoes, cheese, and bacon. Does it get any better than that? I’m pretty sure those are the hubs and sons four favorite food groups 😉
Still, they might not be the best groups to associate with, especially all at once, if you’re watching your carb intake … Or ya know, flavor.
Alternating layers of rich cottage cheese, and creamy mashed potatoes whipped together with bacon or ham and a generous serving of cheddar cheese are sandwiched between your favorite lasagna noodles before being topped with another sprinkle of cheddar cheese and crisp, crumbled bacon and oven-baked to perfection.
You need this in your life. At least once, or twice. And with the colder days and colder nights approaching, there’s no better time of year to give it a try.
12 cooked lasagna noodles
2 cups cottage cheese
3 thinly sliced green onions with a sprinkling of salt (or 1 tsp onion salt)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese, with 1/2 cup separated
2 1/2 cups mashed potatoes
1/2 cup bacon (fried crisp and crumbled) OR diced ham.
1 onion, chopped and cooked until clear
8 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- Mix together the cottage cheese, egg and green onion, stirring until evenly combined.
2. In another bowl, mix together the 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, the mashed potatoes, the 1/2 cup of bacon/ham crumbled and the sautéed onion.
3. Line the bottom of a greased 9 x 13″ baking dish with 4 of the lasagna noodles.
4. Spread half of the cottage cheese mixture out evenly over the noodles.
5. Add 4 additional noodles and cover evenly with half of the potato mixture.
7. Top with remaining 4 noodles, remaining cheese and crumbled bacon.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
9. Serve warm with sour cream, if desired.