Strawberry slab pie is the dessert of summer. Sweet fresh strawberry slices sit on top of a layer of decadent cream cheese filling and buttery pie crust making a sweet treat that can feed a big crowd.
There is one vital problem with pie.
It’s not big enough to feed a crowd.
One regular pie feeds 6-8 people.
Or you know, maybe me and my husband, depending on what kind of pie it is.
Because some kinds are just so delicious that I don’t want to share!
Slab Pie: The Way to Feed A Crowd
With slab pie, though, you don’t have to worry about fighting over the last piece!
Instead of serving 6-8 this recipe serves 16.
And each serving bursts with the flavors of juicy sweet strawberries and luscious cream cheese.
How to Make This Strawberry Dessert
This recipe is pretty straight forward and easy, however it does take a little bit of planning ahead.
You should prep your strawberries the night before you plan on making this pie.
To prep the strawberries, wash and slice them.
Then put the sliced berries into a medium mixing bowl and sprinkle them with sugar.
Gently mix the strawberries to distribute the sugar evenly.
Cover them and refrigerate them overnight.
The next day, preheat the oven according to the directions on the pie crust and spray a 9×13 sheet pan with nonstick spray.
Set it aside.
Once the pan is ready to go, remove the pie crust from the box and unroll the sheets.
Put the second sheet on top of the first sheet and set the first sheet onto a floured counter.
Roll them out into a rectangle.
Arrange the rectangle on the prepared baking sheet. It should be large enough to cover it.
Now poke holes with a fork across the crust.
Bake the crust according to the directions on the package or until it turns golden brown.
Take it out of the oven and let it cool.
When the crust is cool, prepare the cream cheese filling.
To do this, add the softened cream cheese into a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 3-4 minutes or until it is smooth.
Add in the powdered sugar a quarter cup a time and beat slowly until it’s incorporated.
Then beat it in the vanilla and the heavy cream and keep beating until it’s well incorporated and fluffy.
Finish the pie off by spreading the cream cheese filling over top of the baked crust.
Then pour the strawberries evenly over top of the cream cheese layer.
Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to prepare the strawberries the night before you assemble the pie. The sugar draws the liquid out of the strawberries and creates this yummy syrup. Don’t skip this!
- It might be tempting to skip poking holes in the crust, but the holes help prevent the crust from puffing up.
- Use full fat cream cheese for best result.
- Leave the cream cheese on the counter for about half an hour prior to beating it to soften it. Cream cheese that isn’t softened won’t whip up, and you need the whip so that it spread smoothly without tearing the crust.
Other Slab Pie Recipes You Might Enjoy
This strawberry slab pie serves a crowd a big sweet slice of summer. Make it for your next barbecue or the summer holidays and enjoy!
Looking for other slab pie style recipes? Try these:
If you’ve tried this STRAWBERRY SLAB PIE, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Strawberry Slab Pie
- 6 cups strawberries- washed stems removed, and sliced lengthwise
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 box premade pie crust
- 8 oz cream cheese- softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- The night before you plan on making this pie, wash and slice about 6 cups of fresh strawberries and place them in a medium mixing bowl. Sprinkle the strawberries with about 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar and gently mix coating the berries. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat your oven according to the directions on the back of your pie crust and prepare a 9 x 13 baking sheet with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Remove both rolls of pie crust and place on top of each other on a powdered countertop. Roll out into a rectangle large enough to cover the bottom of the baking sheet.
- Poke several holes in the bottom of the pie crust using a fork and bake according to the instructions or until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Prepare the cream cheese layer by adding cream cheese into a large mixing bowl and cream for 3-4 minutes or until nice and smooth. Add in the powdered sugar ¼ cup at a time and mix slowly until incorporated.
- Add in the vanilla extract and heavy cream and mix for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Cover the pie crust with the cream cheese filling and spread evenly. Drain the strawberries and place them on top of the cream cheese layer and spread evenly. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours.