Crunchy pretzels are a satisfying snack all on their own, but give them a delicious flavor infusion and you’ve got these Honey Mustard & Onion Pretzel Bites on hand. They’re utterly addicting, and incredibly simple to throw together. You can enjoy these seasoned pretzels whenever a craving strikes!
Who doesn’t remember eating these as a kid? They were always a huge treat for us.
You could open the bag and just smell the mustardy, oniony addictive-ness.
We’ve always got some sort of your basic pretzel on hand in the pantry.
As a splurge purchase, I will occasionally buy a bag of our favorite seasoned pretzels.
We are total total pretzel freaks, so I was delighted to find and try this recipe. I knew the sons & I had to give it a go ASAP.
They were so excited about them, they insisted on taking over and doing it themselves.
Anytime I can get them in the kitchen willingly is a total win.
Finding a way to make one of our favorite snacks whenever a craving hits? That’s like winning gold!
The result? These Honey Mustard & Onion Pretzels taste EXACTLY like the ones you know and love.
And they’re perfect!
Whip up your own from scratch batch whenever you get a craving.
You will not be able to stop snackin’ on these lip-smacking homemade hard pretzel bites.
Flavoring Pretzel Bites- Honey Mustard & Onion Edition
While we absolutely love the bagged version, it’s so easy to make these tasty, tangy pretzel pieces on your own.
Start with hard sour dough pretzels, and bang them up a bit. Not enough to pulverize, but just enough to rough them up into pieces.
I put them in to a large ziplocking bag and lay it flat on a cutting board, then spread a dish towel over top of the pretzel pieces.
I use the flat side of a meat mallet to gently break them up, checking under the towel periodically to see when they’re ready.
In a mixing bowl whisk together oil, honey, mustard, and onion powder. Mix them just until smooth.
Add the broken up pretzel pieces to the bowl, trying to avoid including any excess crumbs. I scoop them out using a very well slotted spoon for this reason.
Give a little shake, if needed, to shake off any stubborn crumbs then add the pretzel pieces to the honey mustard sauce.
Toss the pretzels & sauce until the pretzels are as evenly coated as possible. This may take a minute or two.
There will still be some exposed white pretzel parts, and that’s ok. Just try and keep them as sparse as possible.
Cover a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and then turn the coated pretzels out onto it in a single even layer.
Bake at 275 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring & turning halfway through. Don’t skip the stirring as it prevents burning & even toasting.
Remove the Honey Mustard & Onion Pretzels from the oven. Let them cool completely, and then serve them immediately or seal them in an air tight container or ziplocking bag until ready to serve.
TIPS & TRICKS For Making Homemade Honey Mustard & Onion Pretzels
- Make sure you use the over sized sourdough hard pretzels, and not the little tiny ones you’re used to snacking on.
- Use a honey mustard you really like, because that is the primary flavor that’s gonna.
- Taste test the sauce before adding the pretzels to it, if you want it more flavorful- add a pinch of garlic powder.
- Stir the pretzels and the sauce together well, making sure to toss them so every bit possible is coated in the honey mustard sauce.
- Make sure the pretzels are spread in an even, single layer before baking so each one gets nice and toasted without any moist pockets of sauce left behind.
Get your snack on whenever the mood strikes with a batch of this easy honey mustard & onion pretzels bites. They tastes just like the store bought favorite, except without all the preservatives.
They’re a perfect activity to get kids excited about being hands on in the kitchen.
If you’ve got a crowd, double the batch and have a tasty snack available all week long!
Other Simple Snack Ideas To Try:
If you’ve tried this HONEY MUSTARD & ONION PRETZELS, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Honey Mustard & Onion Pretzel Bites
- 12-16 oz. sourdough hard pretzels the pounder
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp. honey
- 3 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, honey, yellow mustard, and onion powder.
- Smash the sourdough hard pretzels against your counter-top into bite-size pieces.
- Pour the pretzels into the mixture and toss well to coat every piece.
- Pour the pretzels onto the baking sheet and spread them out in an even layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes, tossing/turning the pieces halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven, let cool, then store in an airtight container.
originally published 3/30/14