Smoked cream cheese is an extra flavorful spread you’ll leave serving as an appetizer or even as a stuffing for meats. Make this creamy blend the next time you want big flavor rewards with little work!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
It’s no secret we love our smoker.
And we use it for things that are rather unexpected all the time.
Instead of just making tried and true (but still amazing!) smoked pulled pork and other meats, I really like to push the limits of what my smoker can do.
And this smoked cream cheese is one of those unexpected surprises.
You’d never think to season some cream cheese and throw it in your smoker, but once you do you’ll wonder why it ever took you so long!
To make this easy spread, you’ll need:
- Cream cheese– Don’t cut corners with low fat or non fat here. Full fat tastes best.
- Olive oil– This is one of the few times when I recommend only using olive oil and not substituting another oil if you don’t have it.
- Seasoning– You need your favorite barbecue rub like Chef Paul Pruhdomme’s BBQ Magic seasoning, seasoned salt and onion powder
- Dippers– Crackers, pieces of baguette, etc.
How to make
This cheesy spread or dip is so easy to make!
To do it, start by coating the entire outside of the cream cheese block with olive oil.
Next, sprinkle your favorite steak rub all over the cream cheese block.
Then, finish seasoning it with a generous amount of season salt and your onion powder.
Place in the smoker or oven at 200 to 250 degrees for 2.5 hours
Serve with crackers and enjoy!
What kind of wood should I use to smoke cream cheese?
I highly recommend a mild fruit wood like apple or cherry.
For other mild flavors you can use alder wood chips.
Of course, if you prefer a more robust wood flavor, you could always use hickory or even mesquite chips.
What to serve with
This is absolutely delicious with crackers or smeared on baguettes.
For a brunch twist, you could absolutely serve it with your favorite plain or savory bagels.
You could even use it on pasta, in stuffed mushrooms or on or in meats.
Whatever you prefer!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. You can serve the leftovers cold, more like regular cream cheese spread or you can heat it in an oven safe dish until warm and melty.
Tips and Tricks
- You can alter the spice level greatly by choosing a spicier or milder steak rub.
- Feel free to add other spice variations- garlic powder, Italian dried herbs like basil and rosemary or even a sprinkle of red pepper flakes would all make nice additions.
Other Smoked Recipes You’ll Love
This smoked cream cheese is the perfect easy way to elevate your entertaining game. Make it the next time you have company and enjoy!
Looking for other smoked recipes? Try these:
If you’ve tried this SMOKED CREAM CHEESE or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Smoked Cream Cheese
- 1 8 oz pkg Cream Cheese
- Olive Oil
- steak or barbecue Rub your preferred brand
- Seasoned Salt
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- Crackers for dipping
- Start by coating the entire outside of the cream cheese block on olive oil.
- Next sprinkle your favorite steak rub all over the cream cheese block.
- Sprinkle with a generous amount of season salt and your onion powder.
- Place in the smoker or oven at 200 to 250 degrees for 2.5 hours
- Serve with crackers and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details. As always, all opinions are my own.