When it comes to Cupcakes these Salted Margarita Cupcakes with Tequila combined the best of both worlds, booze and baking!
I can’t believe that Spring is in full swing! Makes me get super excited for Summer. This warm weather makes me want all the cool drinks and desserts, and that starts with these Salted Margarita Cupcakes!
A fluffy margarita and flavored cupcake is frosted by a light and airy tequila spiked frosting and all finished off with some salt! I mean if you’re not a fan of mixing your drinks and desserts then I don’t know if we can be friends…just kidding. Or am I?
During the spring and summer months we do a lot of get togethers. We just moved and we now have a great private area that has plenty of space for us to entertain, have cookouts and gatherings.
These Margarita Cupcakes are one of our favorite desserts to share with our (of age) family and friends. They’re one recipe that keeps getting asked for and asked for, so we just keep making them, and I’m not upset about that one bit.
Can I tell you why I love cupcakes so much?
It’s the silliest thing really, it’s because it’s my own personal cake. I know I could just bake a normal sized cake and call it mine (and I do, trust me) but there is something about single serving handheld cakes that just makes me super excited.
Add a straw, a sprinkle of salt, a garnish of lime and you have yourself the absolute perfect boozy dessert.
These cupcakes hold nothing back. Both bold and subtle flavors make these Salted Margarita Cupcakes the perfect balance of flavor and really taste like one of the best summer drinks.
So, if you’re looking for a fun spring and summer dessert that I’d equally delicious as it is a conversation starter then these Margarita Cupcakes are just what you need. Quick, easy and delicious.
Salted Margarita Cupcakes with Tequila Lime Buttercream Frosting
For The Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- heaping 1/4 tsp salt
- zest of two fresh limes
- 1/4 cup quality Margarita mix
For The Tequila Lime Buttercream
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp Tequila
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- green food coloring, optional
To Make The Cupcakes
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter until nice & smooth. Whip in the sugar, creaming until evenly combined and smooth. Beat in a single egg at a time, until the mixture's smooth and completely incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix slowly and carefully, just until evenly combined. Stir in the margarita mix and zest, just until evenly incorporated.
- Add 12 cupcake liners to a cupcake pan. Fill each liner 2/3 of the way full with the batter, repeating until all are filled.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees for 18 minutes. When the cupcakes are done, remove them from heat and let them cool 5 minutes, before removing to metal cooling racks to finish cooling completely.
To Make The Tequila Lime Frosting
- In the bowl of the stand mixer, beat together the sugar, butter, and shortening until evenly incorporated and smooth. Adding a bit at a time, add the powdered sugar slowly incorporating it until the buttercream is once again smooth.
- Stir in the Tequila and lime juice, until incorporated. Add the food coloring, stirring just until a uniform Margarita green is reached.
- Frost the cupcakes. Top each with a sprinkle of salt, a lime wedge, and a short straw for the full presentation.