Puppy chow truffles feature the flavors of the classic dessert snack mix in a decadent truffle. This homemade candy makes a perfect addition to any dessert table or a tasty homemade gift for any sweet tooth on your list.
If there’s one snack we can all agree on in this house it’s puppy chow.
Full of crunchy, peanut buttery flavor and chocolate, it’s a winner with us all.
Why not turn that combination into a homemade candy perfect for gifting this holiday season?
It’s so easy and anyone who loves puppy chow will love these!
What is puppy chow?
Puppy Chow is a homemade sweet snack mix that coats crunchy cereal in peanut butter, chocolate and powdered sugar.
You might also know it as monkey munch, muddy buddies, muddy munch, or reindeer chow.
Whatever you call it, it’s sure to taste delicious!
To make this you’ll need:
- Cereal– Plain rice Chex. You could switch it up and use vanilla or chocolate Chex as well.
- Peanut butter– Creamy peanut butter works best. Make sure not to use natural varieties which may separate.
- Sugar– Powdered not granulated.
- Vanilla– Use real vanilla extract for the best results.
- Chocolate chips– Use either semi sweet or milk chocolate.
- Shortening– Like Crisco.
How to Make
To make these candies, start by adding the cereal to a food processor and pulse until it’s in small pieces.
Then add the peanut butter, powdered sugar and vanilla to the food processor and pulse until a paste forms.
Chill the mixture in fridge for at least 30 minutes to let it firm up.
Then, remove the mixture from the fridge and roll it into 12 equal balls, then return to them to the fridge while you make the chocolate coating.
To make the coating, melt the chocolate chips and shortening in a small pan on lowest heat setting until just smooth, stirring constantly.
Use a toothpick to dip each the 12 truffles in the chocolate, then allow to chill in the fridge until chocolate hardens.
Roll each truffle in powdered sugar and enjoy!
How to Store
Store these in single layers separated by parchment paper in an air tight container on your counter.
You can also pack them in single layers separated by parchment in a decorative container or tin for gifting.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to use shelf stable peanut butter and not natural peanut butter.
- You can switch up flavors by using a different variety of Chex.
- Don’t overcook the chocolate! Remove it from the heat as soon as it is smooth and don’t rush it by turning the heat up.
Other Easy Homemade Candy
Puppy chow truffles are the perfect candy to make and gift over the holidays! Make them for your next gathering and enjoy!
Looking for other easy homemade candy recipes? Try these:
- Soft, Chewy Homemade Caramels
- Crockpot Chocolate Peanut Clusters
- Key Lime Pie Fudge
- Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls
- Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies
If you’ve tried these PUPPY CHOW TRUFFLES, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Puppy Chow Truffles
- 2 ½ cups plain rice chex cereal
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Add chex to a food processor and pulse until small pieces
- Add peanut butter, powdered sugar and vanilla and process until a paste forms
- Chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes
- Roll into 12 equal balls, then return to the fridge while you make the chocolate coating
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in a small pan on lowest heat setting until smooth
- Use a toothpick to dip each the 12 truffles in the chocolate, then allow to chill until chocolate is hardened (about 10-15 minutes)
- Roll each truffle in powdered sugar and enjoy
Leave a Comment