This overnight cherry French toast bake is an ideal make ahead breakfast to feed the whole family. The cherry pie filling makes it extra special and perfect for a holiday brunch or special occasion. Meanwhile, the easy, night before prep ensures everyone can enjoy this deliciously sweet breakfast casserole with no stress.
Let’s talk Christmas morning breakfast here. The presents are all opened. The wrapping paper shreds are cleaned up. What’s left?
Well, four hungry boys to feed.
The last thing I want to do on Christmas morning is pull myself away from my kids and the magic of the day to make an elaborate breakfast. But the day calls for something special. Not just a bowl of cereal or your average pancakes or waffles, both of which, while good, require lots of time in the kitchen.
Nope, I want something that I can just pop in the oven so I can leave the kitchen and get back to enjoying the day with my family. And whatever it is I just pop in the oven- well I want it to be as special as Christmas morning itself.
Enter this overnight cherry French toast bake. I can put it together the night before so all the work is done and just pop it in the oven. And the prep work on this dish is simple. Just whisk together some evaporated milk, eggs, brown sugar and cinnamon. Then pour it over sliced day old bakery bread in a casserole dish. Then top the bread with a can of cherry pie filling. Finish your prep work by covering the casserole dish and popping it into the fridge before baking the next morning.
And the next morning? Just take the dish out of the fridge, top it with extra cherry pie filling if desired, and place it in a cold oven. (Side note: do not put a refrigerated glass dish into a preheated oven. The dish will shatter. No one will have a good time.) Turn the oven to 350 and let it work its magic for 35 minutes. Then you have this beautiful overnight cherry French toast bake on the table.
Then, you can sit and enjoy it with your family. And everyone is sure to love it because the cherries take this French toast dish and make it feel like you’re eating cherry pie for breakfast.
And that to me is so appropriate on Christmas morning. Because if there ever is a day to eat pie for breakfast, it’s Christmas.
Other Breakfast Bakes You Might Also Enjoy:
- Breakfast Lasagna
- Monte Cristo Style Breakfast Casserole
- Three Cheese Grits Breakfast Casserole
- Banana Berry Breakfast Bake
Overnight CherryFrench Toast
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 15 oz canned cherry pie filling additional can for adding more topping in the morning, if desired
- 20 slices day-old deli bread we used French
- Mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, eggs and milk.
- Add bread pieces to a large oven-safe casserole (13x9 is good) and pour egg mixture over the bread. Top with cherry pie filling.Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, remove from the refrigerator and place in oven and then set temperature for 350 degrees. Bake for 35 minutes. (If using a glass casserole dish, it is imperative that you do not preheat the oven and then place a refrigerated dish in the oven, as it will shatter.)
- Remove from oven and serve.
Leave a Comment