Rumchata hot cocoa bombs are delicious specialty hot chocolate bombs that you’ll love! When you pour the hot milk over them, they melt, and bubble, and add such a special treat to a drink that everyone already loves!
I have been having so much fun with hot cocoa bombs this year.
Yes, I’ve already done the classic version, but the flavor possibilities are endless and this Rumchata version may well be the yummiest I’ve had so far!
Plus, these are really fun to serve because they make such an effervescent wave in the cups, and it’s sure to be a real surprise to anyone you serve.
Trust me, keep this one in your favorites!
What is rumchata?
Rumchata is a creamy liqueur.
The drink generally has rum, dairy cream, cinnamon, vanilla and sugar.
Essentially it is a combination of rum and horchata.
Horchata is a popular drink in Latin countries of sweetened rice milk.
You really don’t need much to make these cocoa bombs.
You probably have a lot of them on hand already.
Here’s what to gather:
- White Melting Chocolate – You can use chips or an almond bark for a bit of added almond flavor.
- Hot Cocoa Mix – Use your favorite hot cocoa mix, any will work!
- Mini Marshmallows – You’ll need about 5 for each bomb.
- RumChata – You put a small amount of liquor in each bomb for a pop of the creamy, cinnamon flavor in each cup.
- Hot Milk – You’ll need hot milk when you are ready to serve these bombs to your family or guests.
- Melted White and Milk Chocolate – You need a little of each to drizzle on top to give the bombs a fancy look.
You’ll also need a set of spherical silicone molds.
It is very hard to make cocoa bombs without these molds on hand.
How to make the bombs
Homemade hot cocoa bombs may seem daunting, but they are super easy to make.
To start melt the white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 15 second intervals until smooth and creamy.
Stir the chocolate well and then spoon or ladle into the molds, fully coating the inside of the molds.
Pour any excess chocolate back into the bowl and place the molds in the refrigerator.
Then let them harden for about 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, remove the molds from the refrigerator and carefully remove the chocolate from the molds.
Next, place 6 half balls in a row on a cookie sheet to form the bottom half of the cocoa bombs.
When the bottoms are arranged, fill the bottom of the balls with the powdered cocoa, RumChata, and mini marshmallows.
One by one, place the other half of the chocolate balls in warm skillet heated over low heat with the open side down.
Allow it to sit for just enough time to melt just the edges.
Remove the half from the skillet and immediately place on one of the filled chocolate balls.
Hold the top half in place for a few seconds to make sure the top and bottom are melted together.
Repeat the process for the remaining balls.
When all the bombs are formed, place them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until the chocolate is completely set.
Remove the bombs from the refrigerator, and place the cookie sheet on the counter.
Decorating the bombs
Place the white and milk chocolate chips in separate microwave safe bowls and microwave at 15 second intervals, stirring between, until the chocolate melts.
Stir well the melted chocolate well and then spoon into a pastry bag.
Pipe the white and milk chocolate over the cocoa bombs in a criss-cross pattern or follow your own design.
You can sprinkle the tops with your favorite sprinkle mix or leave plain.
To serve, place one hot cocoa bomb in the bottom of a large mug and pour hot milk over the top.
The cocoa bomb will melt and bubble.
Stir the powdered cocoa and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to melt the chocolate in intervals so you don’t scorch the chocolate. It will seize up and be clumpy if you do.
- You want the melted chocolate to completely cover the molds.
- Be sure to let the chocolate set completely each time.
Other Rumchata Treats You’ll Love
These rumchata hot cocoa bombs are one of my favorite ways to enjoy the popular food trend.
Make them the next cold weekend and enjoy!
Looking for other rumchata treats?
If you’ve tried these RUMCHATA HOT COCOA BOMBS or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
RumChata Hot Cocoa Bombs
- set of spherical silicone molds
- 12 oz White Melting Chocolate - Chips or Almond Bark
- 2 packets Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows - about 5 to each Cocoa Bomb
- 2 tbsp Rum Chata in each Cocoa Bomb
- 6 cups Hot Milk
- Melted White and Milk Chocolate to drizzle on top
- Place the Chocolate in a Microwave safe bowl, and melt until smooth and creamy. Stir well, and spoon or ladle into the molds, making sure to coat the inside of the molds. Pour excess chocolate back into the bowl, and place the molds in the refrigerator, and let harden for 15 minutes. Remove molds from refrigerator, and carefully remove chocolate from molds, placing 6 half balls in a row. These will be the bottom parts, or half of the Cocoa bombs.
- Heat a non stick Skillet, on low, and place one half ball with the open side down, melting just the edges, remove, place on a cookie sheet, and fill the Ball with the powdered Cocoa, Rum Chata, and mini Marshmallows. Repeat, until all 6 Balls are done. Place the other half of the Chocolate balls in the skillet, with the open side down, and melt just the edges of the ball. Remove from the Skillet, and immediately place on one of the chocolate balls, filled with the cocoa, etc., making the top of the ball/bomb. Hold in place a few seconds to make sure the top and bottom are melted together. When all the Cocoa Bombs have been filled, and melted together, place them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate is completely set. Remove from the Refrigerator, and sit the cookie sheet on the counter.
- Place White Chocolate, and Milk Chocolate in separate microwave safe bowls, and microwave at 15 second intervals until the chocolate melts. Stir well, and place the melted chocolate - white and milk - in a Pastry bag, and pipe the White Chocolate and milk chocolate over the Cocoa Bombs (see photo) and sprinkle with your favorite Sprinkle mix. Place one Hot Cocoa Bomb in the bottom of a large mug, and pour heated milk over the top. Cocoa Bomb will melt and bubble, and marshmallows will float to the top. Stir the powdered cocoa, and Enjoy!