A quick and easy supper solution, this Korean Beef is a full meal the whole family will love. Packed with Asian flavor, this Asian-style ground beef is served over a bed of fluffy white rice and garnished with bright green onions for a stunning, under 30 minute meal.
I always have ground beef on hand. I get the best bang for my buck on lean ground beef by purchasing it in bulk at Costco.
I come home and package it in meal sized portions, and then store it in the freezer.
Knowing I’ve always got ground beef on-hand ready to defrost for supper, I’m always on the lookout for something ‘new’ to do with it.
When I found this Six Sisters’ recipe and tried it, it was amazing!
Simple, easy, and satisfying anytime I’m craving those ‘Asian’ food flavors. Save money, and forgo ordering out. Make your own meal, at home, tonight and still get your fix.
This dish is also commonly referred to as bulgogi- Korean-flavored beef cooked in a mixture of soy sauce, sugar, & ginger. I’ve seen it made with ground beef (kind of a poor man’s budget friendly version), and also larger cuts of meat- like thinly sliced sirloin.
It’s yummy whichever way you make it, but this is one of my favorites simply because it’s so easy. How often do you stumble across a meal that’s ready in under 30 minutes, that you actually like or even love? For me it’s not too often.
This Korean Beef makes a regular appearance on my monthly menu plan though.
Fresh ground beef is sauteed and browned in a large skillet with garlic & sesame oil. Break it up as it cooks, so by the end it’s all crumbles. Drained of most of the fat, the skillet’s returned to heat and you stir in the sugar, soy sauce, ginger, and crushed red peppers until everything’s evenly combined. Salt and pepper the mixture, to taste.
Bring the mixture to a simmer, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes to let the flavors marry. Serve the Korean Beef over a fluffy bed of cooked white rice, and garnish with thinly sliced green onions.
It makes for a really pretty presentation, meaning it’s a great way to impress last minute guests and a great family meal for busy, activity packed week nights.
Other Asian Style Recipes You Might Also Enjoy:
- Asian Style Crispy Honey Chicken
- Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
- Mongolian Barbecue Burgers with Asian Slaw
- Japanese Steakhouse Hibachi Style Zucchini & Onions
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 -1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch green onions diced
- basmati rice cooked according to package directions
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown the ground beef, with the garlic, in the sesame oil.
- Drain most of the fat.
- Add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt, pepper, and crushed red peppers.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes, until the mixture's still juicy, but the flavors have blended together.
- Serve over cooked rice and garnish with green onions.
pictures & post updated 9/12/2018