Bang Bang shrimp tacos give you the taste of the popular Bonefish Grill dish right at home. This quick seafood recipe creates a dinner full of flavors everyone will love! With crispy fried shrimp, creamy coleslaw, and sweet and spicy sauce- you’ll be making this meal over and over again.
You know those days when you want something different to eat but don’t feel like doing a lot of work?
These bang bang shrimp tacos are the answer to that problem!
This meal is so quick and easy but a switch from other tacos. It’s the perfect easy rut buster.
Copycat Bonefish Grill Bang Bang Shrimp
Have you had Bonefish Grill’s bang bang shrimp? We don’t get to go there often.
Taking a family with 4 hungry, growing boys to a seafood restaurant is pricey, but every now and again, my husband and I can sneak there on date night.
Every time we do, I order the bang bang shrimp tacos. They are just so yummy!
I love it so much that I used bang bang sauce to create my own bang bang chicken.
And now, these shrimp tacos.
What is bang bang shrimp?
Bonefish Grill’s bang bang shrimp is perfectly fried, crispy shrimp that’s tossed in a tangy, sweet, slightly spicy sauce.
The sauce has a bit of an Asian flair with hints of sweet chili and sriracha.
Their bang bang shrimp tacos layer this zesty shrimp in a crispy wonton taco shell on top of a bed of lettuce with tomatoes.
We made ours using soft taco sized flour tortillas and pairing the crispy fried shrimp with a layer of crunchy, creamy cilantro-infused coleslaw.
How to Make Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos
My bang bang shrimp tacos give you all the flavor of the Bonefish dish right at home with very little work.
Instead of breading the shrimp ourselves, we are short cutting this recipe by using pre-made breaded fried shrimp.
You can absolutely make it homemade if you want, but in my opinion, it’s not necessary.
That means all we have to do is put together the coleslaw and the bang bang sauce.
To make the cabbage coleslaw, mix together the sour cream, mayo, minced garlic, lime juice and salt in a small bowl.
Add the coleslaw mix and the cilantro to a large bowl and pour the dressing over it.
Toss it until it’s evenly coated. Then set it aside.
For the bang bang sauce, just add mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, honey and sriracha to a bowl and whisk it together until smooth.
You can toss the shrimp in the sauce or you can leave it separate and just drizzle it over the shrimp.
Then you can assemble your tacos.
To put the tacos together, just add some of the shrimp, the coleslaw and the bang bang sauce to a corn tortilla. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
Making these bang bang shrimp is so easy, but here are a few tips and tricks to make sure these are a banging success.
- Use regular full fat sour cream in the coleslaw. It offers more creaminess and body than lower fat stuff.
- Do not use mayonnaise style dressing. You need to use real mayo for the best flavor.
- Adjust the heat level but adjusting the amount of sriracha you use. More sriracha will make a spicier sauce, while less will make it more mild.
Other Shrimp Tacos You Might Enjoy
These bang bang shrimp tacos are a family favorite. Make them to switch up your next taco night.
Looking for other shrimp tacos? Try these:
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Tacos with Pico De Gallo
- Blackened shrimp tacos with peach salsa
- Tequila Shrimp Tacos with Jicama Slaw
If you’ve tried this BANG BANG SHRIMP TACOS, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos
- 1- 1 1/2 lbs fried breaded shrimp
- 12 6" flour tortillas
- fresh cilantro leaves chopped
For The Slaw
- 1 small bag shredded cabbage mix green & red cabbage with slivered carrots
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- pinch salt
For The Bang Bang Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sriracha chili sauce
To Make The Cabbage Slaw
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the sour cream, mayo, garlic, lime juice, and salt until the mixture's evenly combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, add the cabbage mix & cilantro leaves. Toss together to combine.
- Pour the dressing into the slaw mix & toss until everything's evenly coated. Set aside.
To Make The Bang Bang Sauce
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients until the sauce is smooth. Set aside.
To Assemble The Shrimp Tacos
- Spoon some of the prepared slaw onto a corn tortilla. Top it with the desired amount of shrimp, drizzle with the bang bang sauce, and then garnish with cilantro leaves. Repeat for the remaining tortillas.
- Serve & enjoy!