Hot water cornbread is an easy way to make a homemade version of the southern classic. With only a handful of ingredients, this is just as easy as making cornbread from a box but totally homemade.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
You can never go wrong with cornbread.
At the holidays, hot water cornbread is a staple in the South.
This classic side is so easy to make and super delicious.
What is hot water cornbread?
Hot-water cornbread differs a bit from traditional cornbread, but both are Southern mainstays.
It has roots in Native Americans and the days of slavery since it was (and still is!) extremely easy and inexpensive to make.
This version of cornbread needs a few basic ingredients that create a savory bread with a crispy exterior and soft interior.
To make this you need:
- Cornmeal– I like yellow cornmeal and it doesn’t matter if it’s coarsely ground or finely ground. Coarser ground will give the bread more texture though.
- Baking powder– For lift.
- Salt– To flavor the bread.
- Water– Boiling water.
- Oil– Light oil like corn or olive oil.
How to Make
Making this is so easy!
Whisk together the cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
Once you combined the dry ingredients, carefully add the water and whisk well.
The resulting batter should be fairly thick but pourable.
Once you’ve made the batter, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
When the oil is hot, add ¼ cup of cornbread batter and spread it into a circle.
Cook 3-4 minutes each side, or until golden brown.
Repeat cooking until all batter is used.
Serve and enjoy!
Wrap leftovers tightly and store them on the counter for up to 4 days.
Tips and Tricks
- Be careful not to burn yourself when pouring the water.
- The batter will be very thick when it’s done.
- You may need to use a bit more oil.
Other Cornbread Recipes
Hot water cornbread is Southern holiday comfort food. Make it this Christmas for a taste of the South,
Looking for other cornbread recipes? Try these:
If you’ve tried this HOT WATER CORNBREAD, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Hot Water Cornbread
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons oil as needed
- In a large bowl whisk together cornmeal, baking powder, and salt
- Add the water and whisk well, batter should be fairly thick but pourable
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium, then add ¼ cup of cornbread batter and spread to a circle
- Cook 3-4 minutes each side, or until golden brown
- Repeat cooking until all batter is used
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details. As always, all opinions are my own.