An easy Cajun-style dinner, this Crockpot Chicken, Sausage, & Rice is quickly assembled in the bowl of your slow cooker, and comes out a perfect savory dinner that can easily feed a hungry crowd without any extra calories.
This easy Cajun and rice dinner is chock full of meat, making it the perfect low calorie meal on a family budget, especially since it’s bursting at the seams with flavor.
Do you ever have times where you feel the need to disconnect?
To step away from the computer, from social media, altogether for a few days and just reconnect with the world around you?
To reconnect with your family, your spouse, your children?
For us, it’s been the past four or five days.
All the kids are home and it’s summer and sometimes we find we just need to be ‘present’.
It’s amazing all that we always manage to get done during our completely unhooked periods.
We deep cleaned.
I’m talking the whole house, furniture pulled away from walls and cleaned behind.
Carpets washed. Walls painted. Clothes and toys purged.
We had movie days and movie nights.
We rode bikes and threw footballs. We spent time with family.
It was a much-needed and refreshing change of pace.
But, starting tomorrow we’ll be back on the blog, emails will be re-opened, and social media re-visited.
Thanks guys for understanding the need to occasionally go off-line.
I promise the rest of this week holds several goodies in store!
For me, the crock pot is a summer must-have for come dinnertime, because turning the oven on is so not happening.
When we think crock pot cooking, I know I typically think warm winter stews and casseroles, but it’s actually the
steamy miserably muggy months when the crock pot becomes my BFF.
My let’s make beautiful kitchen magic together, and save me money at the same, time forever friend.
Crockpot Chicken, Sausage, & Rice is another one of my favorite crock pot meals to make, whatever the season.
The chicken comes out cooked to tender perfection and pairs perfectly with the sausage. So much flavor!
Round out the meal by serving this with a nice, warm piece of crusty bread and a refreshing side salad.
(Even better? This recipe is 100 % Weight Watchers friendly!)
If you’ve tried this CROCKPOT CHICKEN, SAUSAGE, AND RICE, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Crockpot Chicken, Sausage, and Rice
- 1 tsp crushed red peppers
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 lb smoked sausage cut in 1" pieces
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 14-1/2 oz can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 2 lbs
- 2 cups instant white rice
- Rinse chicken and pat dry
- Place sausage, bell peppers, onions, celery, tomatoes, broth, bay leaves, thyme, paprika, and garlic powder in slow cooker.
- Stir to blend well.
- Top with chicken and sprinkle with black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Cover and cook 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Add rice and stir gently.
- Cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes until rice is tender.
- Remove bay leaves and chicken bones before serving.
Leave a Comment