Beef tips in brown gravy are the ultimate in comfort cooking. Rich brown gravy coats tender pieces of beef, creating a hearty main dish you’ll love serving for dinner. Pair this classic with rice or fluffy mashed potatoes for a meal your family will gobble up!
There’s something about a rich a brown gravy that makes me want to sop up every last bit with a hunk of bread.
At least that’s how it with this recipe.
How to Make Beef Tips in Brown Gravy
What is the best kind of beef to use?
When I make this recipe, I use stew beef.
It tends to be inexpensive and this cooking method creates tender meat out of almost any cut.
So save the more expensive cuts for another time.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure you stir the onions a lot. The onions require the most hands on time out of any part of this dish. Stirring the onions will keep them from sticking and burning.
- When you sear the beef, let it cook on each side long enough to get a little caramelized crust before flipping it or moving it. Moving the beef will prevent this yumminess from forming.
- Don’t season it with salt. This recipe has enough salty flavor from the soy sauce and the gravy packet. A little pepper is all you need.
- For an added veggie, feel free to add some sliced button mushrooms into the gravy towards the end of the cooking process.
Other Comforting Meat and Gravy Recipes You Might Enjoy
Beef tips and brown gravy is on my regular dinner rotation because it’s so easy and satisfying. Make this recipe this week and I’m sure it’ll be on your regular meal schedule too!
Looking for other meat and gravy combinations? Try these:
If you’ve tried these BEEF TIPS IN BROWN GRAVY, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Beef Tips In Brown Gravy
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 1/2 lbs stew beef
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 1 bay leaf
- black pepper to taste
- 1 pkg brown gravy mix
- 1 tbsp cornstarch + 1 1/2 tbsp water
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil over high heat. Add the onions, stirring, and saute them until almost translucent.
- Add the stew beef, and cook until seared on all sides- roughly 3-5 minutes.
- Add all of the ingredients EXCEPT the cornstarch to the pot, stirring to evenly incorporate.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer (covered) for 15-20 minutes.
- Whisk in the gravy mix powder and the cornstarch slurry. Let the dish simmer for another 15 minutes, or until the gravy has thickened.
- Serve the beef tips and gravy spooned over steamed white rice or mashed potatoes.