Baked strawberry glazed donuts are a delicious breakfast, snack or dessert perfect for spring and summer. Loaded with fresh strawberries and covered in a sweet glaze, these baked goods will delight any berry lover!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details
Strawberry just goes hand in hand with spring and better weather.
There’s nothing like a plump, red strawberry when they are in season.
And I don’t know about you, but putting these sweet red berries into baked goods screams Mother’s Day and other spring occasions like bridal showers to me.
These yummy baked donuts would be the perfect treat for any brunch or occasion.
You’ll need two sets of ingredients.
For the donuts themselves you’ll need:
- Flour– All purpose flour works best here. Don’t substitute wheat flour.
- Egg– A room temperature large egg.
- Buttermilk– Don’t be tempted to switch regular milk for buttermilk. The buttermilk will make these extra tender and if you have leftover buttermilk you could always make pancakes or fried chicken.
- Sugar– Regular granulated sugar.
- Salt– Just a pinch to balance the sweetness.
- Vanilla– Use real vanilla for the best flavor.
- Strawberries– Fresh strawberries work best. Chop them up into small, uniform pieces.
For the Strawberry Glaze
- Powdered sugar– Don’t use granulated sugar here or your glaze will be gritty.
- Fresh strawberries– Diced very small
- Vanilla extract– Real vanilla extract tastes better than imitation here.
- Milk– Any milk you have.
How to Make
Making these baked, cake style donuts is so easy!
To do it, start by preheating the oven to 400°F.
Then, spray a donut pan well with nonstick baking spray or grease it with oil.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
Then, beat together the egg and sugar in a large bowl.
Whisk in the oil, buttermilk, and vanilla until combined.
Next, pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
Then, fold in the chopped strawberries.
Once the batter is ready, use a spoon or a piping bag to fill donut cavities with batter 3/4 way full.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center of the batter.
Let the donuts cool in the pan for 10 minutes before flipping the pans upside down over a wire cooling rack to release them.
Now it’s time to make the glaze
Start by using a fork to puree the diced strawberries until almost smooth.
Add in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar, mix until combined.
Add more powdered sugar, if needed, or add milk if the glaze is too thick.
Finish the donuts by drizzling the glaze over the donuts or dipping them into the glaze.
Fresh baked donuts are the best the same day you make them, but you can store any leftovers on your counter or in your freezer.
To store on the counter, put any leftover donuts in a single layer in a large storage container.
Cover the container with a lid. The donuts should keep overnight.
To freeze the donuts, add leftover donuts in a single layer to the bottom of a large freezer bag.
Place the bag in the freezer for about an hour to let the glaze freeze.
Then add a layer of wax paper and add another layer of donuts.
They will freeze for up to 3 months.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to spray your donut pan very well with nonstick spray to make them easy to release.
- For easiest filling, use a piping bag with no tip. Just cut the corner of the bag off.
- Feel free to substitute other berries like raspberries in this recipe.
- If you are trying to revive older donuts, just pop the donut into the microwave for 15 seconds. It should soften back up nicely!
Other Baked Donut Recipes
These baked strawberry glazed donuts are the perfect treat to serve for any spring time brunch occasion.
Make them this weekend and enjoy!
Looking for other baked donut recipes?
If you’ve tried this BAKED STRAWBERRY GLAZED DONUTS, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Baked Strawberry Donuts with Glaze
For The Donuts
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg large
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries chopped
For The Strawberry Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 fresh strawberries diced very small
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a donut pan with nonstick baking spray or grease it with oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg with sugar. Add oil, buttermilk, and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chopped strawberries.
- Use a spoon or a piping bag to fill donut cavities with batter 3/4 way full.
- Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before flipping the pans upside down over a wire rack.
- For the glaze, using a fork, puree the diced strawberries until almost smooth. Add in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar, mix until combined. Add more powdered sugar, if needed, or add milk if the glaze is too thick.
- Drizzle the glaze over the donuts, or dip them into the glaze.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details. As always, all opinions are my own.