I really have to give a nod to casseroles. I love them…not just because they’re easy, but because they were some of the first things I ever started cooking. Casseroles are wonderful if you’re on a budget. I also love them because they’re so easy to make “my own”, and typically I’ve always got to put my own spin on things. I’m a tweaker, and I can’t not tweak a new recipe. Casseroles are also a life-saver on busy weeknights. I’m trying to get everybody where they need to go, homework done, some gym time in, AND I’ve still got to get a hot, hearty meal on the table before bed time? <Enter, you guessed it, a casserole> Hello, friend.
If you have a pound of ground beef, you’ve got dinner. This dish is a perfect one stop shop for a weeknight meal. Shoot, it will still be good on a Saturday or Sunday. Dinner shouldn’t be stressful on the weekends either 🙂
Enjoy every last bite of this.
Cheesy Ground Beef And Rice Casserole
recipe adapted from Hungry Little Girl
1 lb ground beef
1 large onion, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
1 14 oz can of tomato sauce
1 cup of rice, cooked
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup sour cream, or Greek yogurt
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
salt, pepper, oregano, to taste
1 cup frozen peas
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray a skillet with cooking spray and turn on the heat to high.
3. Saute the onions for a few minutes.
4. Add the ground beef and garlic. Brown the ground beef completely and drain.
5. Turn the heat down to medium and spice the beef with salt, pepper, and oregano to taste.
6. Add the rice, peas, tomato sauce, broth, and 1 cup of cheese. Let simmer for 3 minutes.
7. Transfer everything to a 9×13 baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, combine the sour cream, or yogurt, with the remaining cup of cheese.
9. After 15 minutes, remove the casserole from the oven and spread the cream/cheese mixture evenly over top.
10. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.