Smoked onion dip is the smoky, flavor packed alternative to French onion dip that you didn’t know you needed! This addicting dip needs just a handful of ingredients and will wow at any party.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Do you love your smoker as much as we love ours?
We currently think of it as our 5th child.
Just kidding… kind of.
For example, smoking dips.
If you haven’t tried making a smoked dip, you must!
Dip is already one of the most delicious foods ever, but add that smoky taste into and wow!
You’ll never want to make this any other way!
To make this you’ll need:
- Sweet onions– Make sure you are using large sweet onions and don’t substitute other varieties of onions for best results.
- Olive oil– To drizzle over the onions. Don’t substitute another light oil.
- Cream cheese– Let it soften on the counter before you use it in this.
- Sour cream– Full fat has the best flavor and mouthfeel.
- Apple cider vinegar– Adds a little extra tang and sweetness.
- Spices– A little salt and smoked paprika is all you need.
How to Make
How much dip does this make?
This recipe makes roughly 2 1/2 cups of dip. It’s perfect for a crowd to snack on while waiting for the main event!
What would should I use to smoke onions with?
You can use any type of wood chips you prefer or have on hand, but I find that these wood varieties make for some particularly tasty smoked onions:
Serve this dip with any of your favorite dippers. We love it with:
- tortilla chips
- potato chips
- pieces of crusty bread
Leftover dip can be stored in an air tight container and refrigerated for up to 5 days. It may separate slightly. If it does, just stir to bring it together again before eating.
Tips and Tricks
- This dip is great to make when you’ve already got the smoker primed for meats and other sides- making the most out of your space and maximizing your meal!
- It’s not necessary to chill the dip before serving- the sour cream will keep it cool.
- Don’t skip letting the onions cool completely before incorporating them into the dip mixture.
Other Smoked Dips You’ll Love
This smoked onion dip is always a hit at parties and barbecues! Make it for your next gathering and enjoy.
Looking for other smoked dips? Try these:
If you’ve tried this SMOKED ONION DIP or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Smoked Onion Dip
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Peel both of the onions and then cut them each in half. Put the cut onions in a disposable aluminum tray, cut sides down.
- Drizzle the oil evenly out over the onions.
- Smoke the onions at 250° for 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
- Remove the onions from the smoker, and let them rest for 5 minutes before handling.
- The onions will still be hot, but carefully remove just the outer layer of each onion. Discard, and let the onions continue cooling for 30 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese, sour cream, and vinegar to a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip them together until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the cooled onions, and then stir them into the dip.
- Add the salt & smoked paprika, stirring to combine, and serve!
- This dip is great to make when you've already got the smoker primed for meats and other sides- making the most out of your space and maximizing your meal!
- It's not necessary to chill the dip before serving- the sour cream will keep it cool.
- Don't skip letting the onions cool completely before incorporating them into the dip mixture.
recipe adapted from Jess Pryles
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details. As always, all opinions are my own.